2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is my tanny slipping..or what could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 AM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my tanny slipping..or what could this be?

hey, just got my 01 dodge that i have been having a hell of a time with, and a hell of time with the dealer. just spen 1600$ to get it fixed today. dealer wont do ****. anyway...here is the problem....when i take off from a stop light or a parking lot..it seems like i have to accelereate alot and im not moving much at all...and today i was at a stop light and i went to go..and it was goin slow..and then a second or two later, it jerked and then took off.. but i go to take off and its like...man i got to give it alot of gas to get movin..then i noticed it wasnt normal. anyone know what this could be? i did take it to the dealer to have the diagnose the whinning noise in reverse..and they said they think its the transmission pump. so they are going to replace that. but could the tranny pump make it do this to??? or wat could cause it? hopefully nothing bad anyone know?

Last edited by townsley4; 05-23-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM
townsley4
Veteran

if anyone knows that would be great, becuase i only got a 30 day 3k miles powertrain warrenty so id like to know so they would fix before the warrenty is up

Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It does sound like the tranny is slipping, so you don't need any help here. What you need to do is have it taken care of at the dealer before the warranty runs out. And don't take any bs from them. Demand it gets fixed right.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Do the rpms shoot up when you take off from a stop? Or do they stay really low? If they go really high when you step on the gas I'd say your tranny is slipping, but if they stay very low then it might be a torque converter problem. But like zman17 said, don't try to fix it yourself if you have a warranty, take it to the dealer and DEMAND they fix it correctly, and don't stop bugging them until EVERYTHING is fixed like it should be. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 AM
townsley4
Veteran

Hey I took it to the shop a while back, and they replaced the tranny govenor thing. But anyway...I have another problem. Everytime I accelerate a little, about 1k rpm, and I let off the gas, the truck jerks or pops once, also when I'm coasting and I give it gas and let off the petal, itl jerk once. Its not bad, but its noticable. It also has like no throttle response. But idk if that's because its just a 5.2L or if somethins wrong. I got the truck couple months ago and done a lot of work to it. Muffler shop said the exhuast seemed fine. Anyway. Anyone have an idea?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the RPMs go down after the jerk? If so, the jerk is the tranny shifting up after your acceleration. Mine does that as well. Not sure how much of a jerk is normal. Most cars do that, but they're so soft you don't notice unless you're flooring it.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
townsley4
Veteran

hey thanks for the reply. i noticed it when i was in a parkling lot driving around coasting at about 5-10 mph. i would give it gas and then left off the petal and it would jerk just once. cant really notice what it is. and it takes freakin forever to get up to 60 mph off the off ramp. i font wanna put the petal to the floor but it seems like its about 3/4 of the way down if not more just to get up to the speed limit

Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
ron333
Captain

If you can make a short video of these symptoms taking place, it might help us in identifying what's going on.

If this truck is still under any warranty, MAKE THE DEALERSHIP FIX IT!!! They will try and pacify you long enough to get it out of warranty so they don't have to spend any more money than they have to in order to get it "fixed". If you go to them after the warranty has expired, they will come up with a much more expensive way to fix it, because it's on your dime then.

Does your truck have an LSD? If so and it's going bad, it may present the jerk feeling you get. Also, maybe a bad u-joint in the drive shaft. Or, it could still be an issue with the tranny &/or torque converter.

When you're trying to get up to 60mph on the highway, is the engine running really fast but the truck isn't, or is the engine seem to be running slower like it is straining to get going?

By giving us more accurate details, or posting a video(s) that shows us what's happening will help steer us in the right direction to help.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
townsley4
Veteran

Hey thanks for the fast replies. Unfortunatly I'm not sure how I would video tape it. It only jerks right when I give it gas or left of the petal. and UNFORTUNATLY the dealer only gave me a 30 day powertrain warrenty wich Is over. But it has been in the shop 25 out of the 30 days getting the u joints and ball joints and fighting with the dealer. Worst dealership ever. But as for slow throttlle response, the rpms seem normal its just like really sluggish and doesn't wanna get up to speed. Idk if its because its the 5.2, but my lil v6 dakota had more acceleration and poer than this. Lol

Quick Reply: is my tanny slipping..or what could this be?