2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Cond shuts off when going up hill

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cond shuts off when going up hill

I was trailering my two motorcycles to Eureka Springs AR when I noticed my air conditioning when stop work when I would go up a hill. As soon as I would level off the air would come back on. Has this happen to anyone else????

Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 AM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it has something to do with the drop in vacuum in the lines operating the AC controls due to the drop in manifold vacuum under those conditions. I seem to remember something about adding a check valve in the line to maintain vacuum during these conditions to help eliminate this condition. I'm sure someone will chime in who knows more about this...

Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, you have a vacuum leak. I'll bet if you look a little closer, it's not actually shutting off, it is switching to the defrost vents. Try the search feature, and you'll get tons of threads about vacuum leaks. This is a pretty common problem on our trucks.

Quick Reply: Air Cond shuts off when going up hill