2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:33 PM
evati0nz
|
Default Squeaking Problem

Hi all, been browsing awhile and finally decided to sign up now that i need help

Earlier today I was driving around doing work at a farm, and had my truck in 4 wheel drive, as it had poured rain last night. Well, i get done with work and shift it into 2, drive off and think nothing of it. Later that evening I go out to get drink and notice that the 4 wheel drive light is still on, and I'm still in 4 wheel drive, which is odd since I have the shifter in 2

So I pull out thinking I'll just drive it around a little to try and take it out. As I turn onto the road I get this horrible squealing sound coming from my front axle. I try driving it around a little more seeing if the squealing will go away and to get it out of 4x4.

To make a long story short I called a friend over and we finally got it to unlock from 4x4 but I still have a terrible squeaking sound coming from (I believe) my front axle.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:38 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Not sure about the squealing but it sounds like the pwer going to the CAD didn't disengage. Possibly the disconnect is still engaged? How did you get it out of 4 wheel?

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:44 PM
evati0nz
|

First we put the Tcase in neutral shifted into first (I have a manual trany) and gave it some gas, then we literally rammed the shifter into 2H and it finally disengaged

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:51 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Welcome by the way even though I am new to the site myself. Even though you rammed the shifter out of 4 wheel it doesn't mean the front axle disconnect disengaged. There is a disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle with an electrical connector going to it. Try unplugging it and see if that makes the noise go away. The CAD could be stuck engaged and causing the noise.

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:52 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Usually, just backing up about 10 feet will disengage it. You should never force it into or out of gear. Have your friend watch to see if your cross shafts are still turning as you roll forward.

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:57 PM
evati0nz
|

We did try unplugging that when we were trying to think of non violent ways to get it out, that did not help though. Neither did backing up and going forward several times help.

The only reason I know it's out now is i can spin my back tires

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:57 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Yeah true Miami. I forgot about backing it up to disengage it. I agree on not forcing it. If it is stuck there is a reason why it is.

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:09 AM
evati0nz
|

For now I'll just have to hope it's just a fluid problem in the pumpkin or something, that would be nice. I just changed the tranny fluid and I don't think that had been changed for 60,000 miles (bought the truck two months ago)

I will keep yall informed, hopefully i can figure it out so no one else has too.

Welcome any more input others have, but I'm going to bed

Peace

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:31 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Unless there was an inch-ish of water on the road (or more), engaging 4WD on mixed dry/wet pavement and/or mildly wet pavement will cause excess wear to your drivetrain and you will have more problems in the future.

4WD is for heavy rain (where there is lots of running or standing water on the road, not just a wet road), mud, and snow.

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give you advice. Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-29-2009 | 10:39 PM
evati0nz
|

So I found the problem. In my front driveshaft the ball and cup ( sorry don't know the technical names) were getting so worn that they were twisting and causing the squeaking sound. It will have to be rebuilt.

Thanks for all your input

Quick Reply: Squeaking Problem