2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you reset the PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I believe that if you disconnect the neg cable before you start the work on the plenum(which should be done anyway) and reconnect when you're ready to start her up. that will be ample time for the computer to reset. The key thing is for a quick reset.
What maintenance or repair (in general) should you reset the computer as you have stated
I've replaced the IAC and the TPS in my truck and didn't reset the computer should I have?
I replaced the old sensors when I didn't get the desired effect? (RPM SURGE)

Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacing sensors is the most common time to reset the pcm. Like I stated above , anytime you do work on the truck (electrical related)the negative cable should be removed anyway.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What, exactly, is accomplished by resetting the PCM and what kind of procedures benefit from it? Should I have done this after installing my K&N CAI?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically, all resetting the PCM will do is clear all of the sensor data logs. Like air to fuel ratio for example. Mods like intake, plenum, and any other maintenance repair on the engine, people like to reset the comp, so it will relearn with the new changes quicker than leaving it alone.

Its not a must, a lot of times the computer will gradually relearn the new parameters.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 05-31-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Laramie. I like the way you conduct yourself without being condescending in your answers. Some others in here should take notice.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
but he's not nearly as annoying as neon.
yeah, i'm thinking about resetting my pcm but first i'll ask the whole forum what they think about it. after getting a couple of excellent answers, i'll ignore them and analyze all the reasons why i should take it to a professional so that it'll be done right because i really love my truck. then after about 100 pages of total bs, i'll sue the professional who reset my pcm, and then i'll take off the high performance pcm and put on a stock pcm. then i'll carry on for another 100 pages about how i should or shoudn't keep my truck.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Pyromanaron
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
yeah, i'm thinking about resetting my pcm but first i'll ask the whole forum what they think about it. after getting a couple of excellent answers, i'll ignore them and analyze all the reasons why i should take it to a professional so that it'll be done right because i really love my truck. then after about 100 pages of total bs, i'll sue the professional who reset my pcm, and then i'll take off the high performance pcm and put on a stock pcm. then i'll carry on for another 100 pages about how i should or shoudn't keep my truck.
Yeah. What he said. By the way, how do you use a fuel line disconnect tool? I have never been able to get those things to work. Before I get flamed, I prefer to use a hammer in all activities, so yes I am a Neanderthal.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the fuel disconnect tool (provided its the right size) just closes over the line and you push it into the female end of the connection, there are spring loaded keepers in the connection and the tool separates them from the lip at the end of the male line so it can slide off.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Thanks, Laramie. I like the way you conduct yourself without being condescending in your answers. Some others in here should take notice.
Well, Thanks for the comment. Although I'm not always that nice

And to the others, watch your step. Neon is still cruising this forum, he just annoys the 3rd gen guys now. Also, he got a name change too..... Just look for the 10-12 page thread on Flow Master mufflers..........

Old 05-31-2009, 02:28 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, name change. Glad to see his threads still go for pages and pages, haha.

Neon = 01DodgeRam360 = 05DodgeRamHemi

Quick Reply: How do you reset the PCM?