2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas gauge tango

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas gauge tango

When I bought my RAM the previous owner told me that every once in a blue moon the gas gauge goes off the farm and reads empty even though there is plenty of gas left in the tank. Well, it did it twice just this week. It isn't a problem because I always track my mileage with the tripmeter and know when I need to fillup, but it is still annoying because the little gas pump light comes on and the bell dings to alert me to it. Anyone else have this issue with their gas gauge? Anything that can be done to correct it? As I posted a few weeks ago, the gauge isn't all that accurate to begin with. It starts telling me I'm near empty when there's still 7-8 gallons left in the tank. From full, it takes 110 miles to get it down to 3/4, but only about 50 more miles to get it down to a 1/4. Bad enough I have to be aware of my fuel consumption with a V10, but it'd be nice if I had a gas gauge I could trust a little more.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The float in the tank could be slowly dying. Someone here once posted an additive you could put in your gas once or twice that has been known to clean the float up and sometimes fix the issue. Hopefully they will post here, as I can't recall what it was they added to fix the issue.

Another option is to replace it. But its in the tank, so a bit of labor involved. To hire someone to do it, it'll cost you about $250 (labor and parts) at a decent shop. (I know because I had my gas gauge on my 1995 Dakota start going berserk once, and thats what the issue was.)

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Mudbone25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sending unit for the gas gauge is a resistor on the arm of the float. It can get gunked up over time. Putting a can of Chevron Techron Plus in your gas can help clean off the connection. Just make sure its the plus version.

I replaced the fuel pump on my truck last week and it wasnt that hard at all. and that was with 20 gallons of fuel still in it. Theres a diy on here for replacing the pump.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Originally Posted by Mudbone25
the sending unit for the gas gauge is a resistor on the arm of the float. It can get gunked up over time. Putting a can of Chevron Techron Plus in your gas can help clean off the connection. Just make sure its the plus version.

I replaced the fuel pump on my truck last week and it wasnt that hard at all. and that was with 20 gallons of fuel still in it. Theres a diy on here for replacing the pump.
I've never pulled the tank on my Ram but I've had the pleasure on my other trucks and just a Tip: If you have access to a motorcycle jack with straps it makes quick work of pulling and not to mention securing the tank as you move it. Like you said I've pulled them almost full with no difficulty with the M/C jack. Just a tip.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've heard that lifting the bed makes short work of the fuel pump instead of dropping the tank.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Mudbone25
Professional

some people have had trouble getting the bed to line up after removing it.. Not 100% sure thought.. For my the straps one the tank had broke as well so removing that made sense.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The additive is Chevron Concentrate Plus. The "plus" part is important. Put in a full bottle on a quarter tank of gas and run it out. Repeat if necessary.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
The additive is Chevron Concentrate Plus. The "plus" part is important. Put in a full bottle on a quarter tank of gas and run it out. Repeat if necessary.
Thanks, I'm gonna try that. I drove 200 miles today to go moto and it worked fine. Also saw my mileage get up to 11 since putting the K&N CAI in last week. If not for some stop-and-go traffic coming home it might have gone higher.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hum , and i just bought and put in gumout regane total system cleaner, Ive got same problem , cept mine pings at empty unless i fill tank then it pings at full. and then goes beserk inbetween. lol. Ill have to pick up the chevron next tank.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
OcoeeRamMan

My truck did the same thing when I bought it from the owner. The problem was the float in the tank was all corroded.. bad news: cant clean it; needs replacing...

I bought the part ($300.00) It's the actual whole sending unit/flat filter assembly cause thats all you can get...you cant just buy a float...

What I did was
-get a 2x10 board and a motorcycle jack under the tank
-Undue the two straps that hold it up
-open the gas cap and remove the screws that hold the fill hose on
-** BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE TANK DOWN TO FAR!!!**
THERES HOSES ATTACHED AND A WIRE CONNECTOR ATTACHED TO THE TOP AND THEY DONT GIVE YOU A HOLE LOT OF PLAY ROOM(AND THEY COULD SNAP)
-disconnect the hoses and wires
-pull out tank and unscrew the ring that holds the unit on
-replace unit and put back in

I also cleaned the tank while it was out...
****ALSO ITS EASIER TO DO ON AN EMPTY TANK****

start to finish: 3hrs??

Fixed all problems!!!

Quick Reply: Gas gauge tango