2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New here, About to buy a 2000 dodge ram..Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the welcome, ill check out the wheels and give em a tug. That reminds me, the truck also has a brand new set of tires on it. Yes it is at a dealership. But not a dodge dealership.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Hopefully you have bought the truck by now and enjoying your ride. The problems mentioned by previous posters are nagging issues that while they do occur, are no worse than other brands out there. 2wd trucks tend to be a bit more reliable drivetrain wise because they don't have the extra drive line in the front to push around.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 2000 dodge ram with the 5.9 stock tranny has 130xxx miles on it, you will want to get a tuner and a tune up for sure change you oil when you 1st get it.

* most likley you have death flash which dodge retard the timing and you lose mpg and power. * any tuner will fix that i would get superchips it changes the tire size if you plannning on doing bigger tires ,and it was a day and night diffrence in performance when i hooked it up.
*look down in throttle body for oil , if so its a plenum leak , that also kills performance but its an easy fix.
*people have tranny problems and some dont, depends on how you take care of it and how the last person had it.
* sometimes i wish i had a 2wd just becasue i would have more power that way and a barly use my 4x4.
*if looking for more power 5.9 would be a better choice, both 5.2 and the 5.9 have same mileage but the 5.2 is more reliable of a motor.
*some minor performance helps these motors for performance such as exhaust catback,highflow cat, superchips or sct. fastman throttle body,1.7 harland sharps rollor rockers msd wires/coil ngk plugs and brass cap rotor ,modded plenum and headers -they all help down low
for big power 2.02 heads, cam, sct tuner, and longtube headers

you have any pics of this truck ,welcome to the forum !!! any more questions you can ask , and the search also has lots of useful info

* also if looking for a exhaust, youtube has tons of exhaust vids and you can check mine out which is in my sig

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a good deal to me, hope you get it soon.

the wheel bearings on a 4x2 are re-packable and not a big deal if they're bad compared to the 180$ for a new hub on the 4x4. and if you're looking for a good exhaust system, a guy put a post on here a little while back about his new pypes exhaust system and its pretty nice, but i prefer straight pipes myself, i hate mufflers.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
MAJohns
Captain

Walk away!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I had to let it go. I called the guy and he siad somthing about the trans on the phone. And i didnt like it..

So i went and done some looking! And found a 1995 dakota v6 2wd with 91,000 miles on it. Perfect truck, Everything on the truck looks great. Very straight and unmodded truck. (just like the ram, bone stock)Im going to take it for a drive tomorrow. What do you guys think? I read abunch of stuff about these trucks and it sounds like there perfect accually. I read a crap load of reviews and did some searching, and found nothing but good on the 95 dakota. Im really wanting this one. After reading up on em and all...

Should i go to the dakota forum with this? Or do some of them dakota guys read the ram forums too?

Would really appreciate some idea's on this! You guys have gave me lots of good help/info on the ram. Thanks

EDIT: Crap i forgot to add this. Its an extended cab short bed.

Last edited by DODGEPWR; 06-04-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Not many of the dak boys get over here..... they get pushed off fairly quick.
Personally, I don't think you are going to find a 2nd gen ram around that is for sale that doesn't have some kind of big problem fixing to happen to it. If the tranny is going bad on that ram, and you still like it, make the seller deduct the cost of putting a new trans in it. (Might have to get some quotes from a few shops first)

I have been toying with buying a new vehicle for the last 3 years now. I have looked at older daks, new daks, old rams, and new rams. I can't fease losing the hauling space of a full sized truck, but if you are going to daily drive it, it might not be too bad for ya.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Not many of the dak boys get over here..... they get pushed off fairly quick.
Personally, I don't think you are going to find a 2nd gen ram around that is for sale that doesn't have some kind of big problem fixing to happen to it. If the tranny is going bad on that ram, and you still like it, make the seller deduct the cost of putting a new trans in it. (Might have to get some quotes from a few shops first)

I have been toying with buying a new vehicle for the last 3 years now. I have looked at older daks, new daks, old rams, and new rams. I can't fease losing the hauling space of a full sized truck, but if you are going to daily drive it, it might not be too bad for ya.

Whatever i get will be a daily driver. Going back and forth to work. Going to pick up acouple of 2x4's every now and then. And maybe hauling some small stuff like that. With an ocasional small trailer pull with a dirt bike on it or somthing like that. And thats a maybe thing with hauling a small trailer with it.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I dont think that a V6 will handle hauling a loaded trailer for very long.... but thats just me.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I dont think that a V6 will handle hauling a loaded trailer for very long.... but thats just me.

LOL nice quick edit man! I seen watcha posted before. Must have thought i was going to pull another truck with it? Naa, im not that crazy. If you were referring to the ''acouple of 2x4's'' thing, i ment wood bords. But you know that.

I read some reveiws and they said that it can haul some pretty heavy stuff with no prob. But some can be misleading i guess. Although, there were alot of people towing heavy stuff with em.. and with high milage.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: New here, About to buy a 2000 dodge ram..Need advice