2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fan Info Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So......hows the testing coming????

Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when all of your original testing is done with the stock setups, i was curious if you would be able to take the a/c radiator out and test an electric fan setup that way. I took my whole a/c system out, and with the stock clutch fan, the temps have steadied down alot and at idle, the temps are cooler(obviously, the resistance of air compared to obstructions is less). so after all your testing is done, just curious if you'd be able to test it. i'm sure it won't matter anyway, because any fan that you test WITH the a/c radiator and deem worthy will be more than enough for my setup anyway lol.

(kinda pointless post i guess)

Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by wjxavier
when all of your original testing is done with the stock setups, i was curious if you would be able to take the a/c radiator out and test an electric fan setup that way. I took my whole a/c system out, and with the stock clutch fan, the temps have steadied down alot and at idle, the temps are cooler(obviously, the resistance of air compared to obstructions is less). so after all your testing is done, just curious if you'd be able to test it. i'm sure it won't matter anyway, because any fan that you test WITH the a/c radiator and deem worthy will be more than enough for my setup anyway lol.

(kinda pointless post i guess)
lol...yeah I can do that. The way I'm setting up my testing will make it really easy to take components out of the system and then recheck the fan.

Thought I would have started testing last weekend, finally have everything I need, but I've been wrapping up some long term projects at work and it's been eating up a lot of time. Hopefully will have that done by next week, and should be able to get going by the weekend of the 4th.

Last edited by hutch1973; 06-26-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Sounds good Hutch! Just dont work too hard over the 4th. And drink a cold one for all of us boys over here eatin sand.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i would think your CO would let you have 2 beers. Thats usually what our CO does...for Independence Day and Christmas i think, he lets us have two beers lol.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Yeah, you can drink 2 beers if when you get done you have a full 12hrs off before you go on shift again. I work from 8pm to 8am and dont see them serving beer for breakfast any time soon!lol.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

yea i work nights too...i miss eating breakfast lol

Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Screw breakfast!!! That has been the only meal I have ate in the last 8months. There's only so much you can do with eggs.lol.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Just an update.

Way behind from where I thought I'd be and haven't had the free time I thought I would this weekend, so little progress. At this point, all I've done is start to build the test set up that's Ram specific, here's a shot of that so far:

Have it set up so the a.c. condenser snaps in and out to be able to test w/wo easy. Just working on the mounting set up for the radiator. Basically, need to get a mount set up so the radiator pops on the end of the duct. Then I can mount the fans off the radiator the same way any of you would in the truck. Using this set up, I can easily mount and remove the factory fan shroud to get an idea of how it affects fan performance.

The 'duct' length is currently 6 foot. I expect to have to cut it down once I get everything up and testing to better simulate the front of the truck, although it shouldn't be much. I'll be drilling holes in the top of the duct towards the end to insert my instrumentation to measure the airflows. On the top of the duct right now is the power supply, and a smaller 15" duct I built to do some '0' readings. Won't publish those numbers because of some legal issues, won't get into that too much here though.

I won't have any issues posting the airflows of Ram Specific testing. Hoping to wrap up the test duct work this week, and get some testing done next weekend.

Also, with the smaller 15" duct, working on a mount to the backside of the radiator for that. Then I'll cut some inserts to slide inside of it. Using that, I can cut the hole in the inserts for the fans, and slide them back and forth inside the smaller duct to simulate different depths of fan shrouds to see how they affect performance. Probably won't get into that specific testing for a couple weeks though.

For now, wife went down in the basement and found my mess, and I'm in trouble..lol...will spend the rest of my free time this weekend cleaning. Women.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any update?

Hutch - I know you have put in a lot on this e-fan project and it must fit into your priorities but anxiousness dictates that I ask if you have made any progress on your cfm testing.

Particularly, I am interested in your Perma-Cool 19115 test. I have been of the belief that mounting such a fan in the throat of the existing shroud would supply a sufficient airflow (unconfirmed of course) to maintain cooling on my 4.7L and any engine using the same size radiator. My personal reasoning is the shroud maintains a tunnel for the intake/exhaust of the fan ... being at least 12 inches from the radiator, the fan blades would be combating less surface turbulence than if next to the radiator fins.

In a nutshell, I am a fan (no pun intended) of your project and wait anxiously for any results, premature or otherwise, that you can provide.

cheers,
rovman

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Info Thread.