2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fan Info Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:27 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hutch while looking around today because of another thread I checked out Mancini Racing's page. All of their efans are rated under the 3300 or whatever it is that Flex a lite lists. Not sure if that helps you at all but figured I would throw it out there

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, lol@ Miami

I should clarify where I’m going with this, because I’m sure I’ve bounced around with my intentions from the start. Started this project to find a fan to move a legitimate 2000 cfm in our trucks, around 10 amp of draw, and under $100. It wasn’t until I started getting feedback from the manufacturers that it escalated into much more than a random Ram installation.
Initially, I considered providing a testing service for the aftermarket industry, as I have the equipment and capabilities to do it. Never felt it would be a huge source of revenue for my business, and viewed it as a hobby on the side. (This is when I was talking about a national standard) However, abandoned that because it became evident quickly that nearly half the industry is lying about the fan performance and why would they try to document it?
Let me explain what I was thinking about with ‘national standard’…may not have gone into detail earlier and too lazy to go back through and read the thread, so sorry if it’s a repeat. I wanted to provide a very basic service. Let a fan manufacture send me a fan, and for a fee, would test it out from 0-.8” s.p., produce a curve for them to show the performance, and then ‘certify’ the fan. It would make it very easy to have anyone look for the certification seal on the box and know the fan would move whatever airflow was shown on the curve. Figured I would set up a web site that would show which fans were certified, and explain the whole process to better educate people on why they should make sure their fan of choice was certified. Figured I’d charge $250 a fan, and the certification seal would be good for the lifetime of that fan. Figured I’d be lucky to make 10k over 5 years, which I could care less about from a business standpoint.
When I had manufactures start to lie (keep in mind, it is in email/print) about how fans performed when installed, I decided screw it, I want to hit them where it hurts. Let me be clear, I live comfortably and don’t care about financial gain from this project. Spent just over 2k on this so far, and will keep spending to test as many fans as I can find the time to do. At some point, plan on handing my findings over to an attorney and letting them run with it. A class action suit should be very easy to get going since anyone who purchased a brand ‘x’ fan that was false advertised could get in on it. Since they have knowingly misled the public for profit, my hope is it bankrupts them. You should not be allowed to lie to the public. Once I give my info to the attorney, I want nothing to do with it, outside of to testify if it’s needed.
Regarding testing, if they have any legit test done with certified equipment, repeatable at ‘0’ s.p., and I have a legit test at ‘0’ s.p., we should have very similar readings, even if the test is different. I have at least 1,000 reports floating around out there with my name on it where I did performance testing on a fan. Sometimes they passed, sometimes they didn’t, and I know the second I put the report in the mail, I’m subject to suit if they believe I’m not testing the fan properly. Never had an issue and we’ve been called in as an ‘expert’ in suits in the past.

I’ll go into more with your mounting thoughts later, and thought a lot of the same as I got into this. Just been on the road this week and the woman walked by my office in a lil t shirt…I’m out…..lol

Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 PM
hutch311
Rookie

Just read the whole thread. Im very interested in the outcome.Good work Hutch!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you come up with any #'s that will work on our trucks yet? I'm gonna be pushing to have mine done within the next couple weeks if possible and still thinking about a new fan

Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
hutch1973
Captain

No, actually haven't had any time to work on this for weeks. August is a very busy month for me since my company is in the commercial construction industry. All the schools are now ready for testing and I have impossible deadlines.

I'll post when I have updates, but it won't be anytime soon. Really busy with work and home stuff right now.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like a woman. Get us all excited and then leave us hanging.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Just like a woman. Get us all excited and then leave us hanging.
lol...blame the woman on this one.

Planned on doing this stuff while I studied for an exam I was going to take in September. Exam got postponed until spring...

Since that happened, woman decided I should get back to finishing the remodeling project I started last spring. Had convinced her I needed to study for my exam this summer so I could slack off and not finish it until fall...totally backfired on me. Will be spending any free time I have between now and the end of September wrapping up my remodel from hell.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck on the remodel --- funny how those pesky "honey-doos" get in the way of real important stuff! HA

rovman

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so,........any updates?

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Info Thread.