2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fan Info Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With 3 e fans going you would probably make out better keeping the stock setup lol

Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proform and Perma-Cool fans are on order. Should have '0' airflow ratings up by the end of the weekend. Still tracking down a radiator/shroud/ac-at coil assemble for my 'chamber' build to do true testing for our trucks. Hoping a local yard has something Sat. morning.

Probably won't post much for pics of the process, but will pass on the findings. You can be sure all the fans were tested properly and in the exact same manner. I originally planned on showing pics of the 'chamber' and everything step by step, but I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with this.

I was able to confirm tonight that the aftermarket auto industry has absolutely no standardized practices for cfm ratings on fans. It's an 'honor' system that's obviously lacking honor. The set up I'm building is fairly specialized for this type of application, and if the airflow readings are significantly out of whack what's advertised, I might seriously pursue changing the industry. This is fraudulent and I'd like to fix it.

Out of the six fan suppliers I contacted with fairly general questions about their testing, half responded. One was brutally honest, (my first email exchange quote), so I decided not to test their product. Proform did not respond, so I chose their fan. Perma-cool stated something I know not to be factual, so while I chose their fan thinking it gave me the best shot at 2k at a lower amp rating, they say 3k no matter the restriction. (b.s.)

Flex-a-Lite responded, but seemed to be intentionally vague. Since they are the only manufacturer that seems to seriously push 3500 cfm for small blocks, I'm really curious to know how those fans perform. If anyone following this thread has a Flex-A-Lite fan, let me know your model number here or in P.M.. If I'm going to buy and test one, might as well do the one a majority of Ram owners are running. You have a right to know.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hutch I believe most run the black magic extreme 180

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Hutch I believe most run the black magic extreme 180
I've seen that one, but I thought i saw a couple doubles as well...so wasn't sure which was more popular. Either way, I'll probably be selling one shortly...lol

Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How could I test my fan myself. I thank where my dad works thay test some fans and he is going to ask if thay can test it but is there any way I can do it myself

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by scorpion122192@hotmail.com
How could I test my fan myself. I thank where my dad works thay test some fans and he is going to ask if thay can test it but is there any way I can do it myself
Unless your dad has a radiator or other coil type surface he can test the fan across, he won't get an accurate reading. Part of the problem with this industry is it's impossible for people to know what airflows they have without a lot of high dollar equipment. If he measures it without a restriction, it's going to be moving a lot more air then it will installed.

If you absolutely have to put something on now, I would think the Lincoln fan (assuming it's a v8) would work, but if you wanted to play it safe I'd put one of the cavalier fans in on a second switch as a 'just in case'. If you make it through a couple high temp days without an issue, yank it out.

Don't put all three fans in. You'll be pulling way to many amps and probably have more then you need. I'll be looking for a lincoln or ford v8 fan this weekend to start playing with. If they have a Ram there with a radiator I'll have full airflow readings up within 2 weeks.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've also heard that the fans from the later model Taurus' might work as well. There is also an old thread about using fans from a ford Winstar van that worked pretty well.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I've also heard that the fans from the later model Taurus' might work as well. There is also an old thread about using fans from a ford Winstar van that worked pretty well.
I have a feeling factory electric fans move more airflow then the aftermarket ones hands down. It's my understanding of the industry now (had no clue of this when I started this thread last week) that the manufacturers have fairly strict testing standards to meet for factory replacement....however those manu's don't even publish cfm numbers. True 'aftermarket' is unregulated and can put whatever they want on the box.

Kinda funny if it turns out to be true, means that a 25 dollar junk yard fan could out produce a $150 'aftermarket' fan without any issues.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hutch1973
Unless your dad has a radiator or other coil type surface he can test the fan across, he won't get an accurate reading. Part of the problem with this industry is it's impossible for people to know what airflows they have without a lot of high dollar equipment. If he measures it without a restriction, it's going to be moving a lot more air then it will installed.

If you absolutely have to put something on now, I would think the Lincoln fan (assuming it's a v8) would work, but if you wanted to play it safe I'd put one of the cavalier fans in on a second switch as a 'just in case'. If you make it through a couple high temp days without an issue, yank it out.

Don't put all three fans in. You'll be pulling way to many amps and probably have more then you need. I'll be looking for a lincoln or ford v8 fan this weekend to start playing with. If they have a Ram there with a radiator I'll have full airflow readings up within 2 weeks.
The plant my dad works for does make radiators and a.c. coils. Well I dont have to put it on now. But I have a intake and underdrive PULLEYs on the way and a block heater, a trans cooler, a oil cooler, a fastman TB, and new thermostat to put on and I dont want to take all the stuff off my truck put it all back on and then have to take it off to put the e-fan on. But you are Probably right that the fan will move what I need it was out of a V8.But I will wait 2weeks to see your readings befor I do anything

Last edited by BigRedRam95; 06-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutch1973
I have a feeling factory electric fans move more airflow then the aftermarket ones hands down. It's my understanding of the industry now (had no clue of this when I started this thread last week) that the manufacturers have fairly strict testing standards to meet for factory replacement....however those manu's don't even publish cfm numbers. True 'aftermarket' is unregulated and can put whatever they want on the box. Kinda funny if it turns out to be true, means that a 25 dollar junk yard fan could out produce a $150 'aftermarket' fan without any issues.
If the 16" fan I bought doesn't move enough air, I might try one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...605175002r2379

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Info Thread.