2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So he changed the injector sequence then and not the actual timing.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Your mechanic dosn't realize that you can't change timing on these trucks. A timing light dosn't work. Didn't he notice there were no timing tabs??? Also if he keeps running the truck open headers he's going to burn a valve. If he dosn't have an extremly fancy scanner your going to have to take the truck somewere else. On older vehicles you would shine a light on the belt and a little white bar would flash by. What you would do is line that bar up with differnt marks on the harmonic balancer. You would move the bar by turning the distributor. If your mechanic moved the distributor without using a scan tool I highly doubt you will get the truck running agin without taking it to some one else. It not that I doubt his ability everyone can't know everything about every vehicle out there but, that scanner is 4 or 5 grand and most mechanics just do without.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Well mechanic says its the co2 sensors, heh all this time all it was i needed exhaust, he said since it has to be on a closed circuit to tell the air fuel the iac can't tell what to do once it gets warm so it keeps putting to much fuel in and running rich so the motor just comes down to idle then revs up a then comes back down then eventually the motor dies. So you guys think that once I get my exhaust put back on the co2 sensor will read right and it will run good? Seems plausible to me since this whole time I thought it was the timing, but then again how do guys run open headers with out a co2 sensor?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:55 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the time people run open headers its on an older non computer engine or there is a port on the header itself

Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedwiggles
Well mechanic says its the co2 sensors, heh all this time all it was i needed exhaust, he said since it has to be on a closed circuit to tell the air fuel the iac can't tell what to do once it gets warm so it keeps putting to much fuel in and running rich so the motor just comes down to idle then revs up a then comes back down then eventually the motor dies. So you guys think that once I get my exhaust put back on the co2 sensor will read right and it will run good? Seems plausible to me since this whole time I thought it was the timing, but then again how do guys run open headers with out a co2 sensor?
I'm assuming by CO2 sensor you mean oxygen, or O2, sensor. There are no CO2 sensors on these trucks (or any vehicle that I know of), just O2 sensors.

Normally, I would say yes, an O2 sensor would solve your problem. However, if he's tried to mess with the timing by turning the distributor (which you can't do on these trucks, timing is computer controlled) and he's tried using a timing light (again, you can't use that to adjust timing on these trucks, its computer controlled), he doesn't know his way around 2nd generation Dodge Rams. No offense intended, he may know everything there is to know about older engines or whatever, but the timing stuff you've told us that he tried proves he doesn't know much about computer controlled engines, or at least not our engines. He may have mucked up the timing and/or distributor.

Only way to change timing on our trucks is by moving the CPS (do a search here on the forum) or (the proper way) via a tuner.

Regardless of whether it solves the issue or not, you definitely need an O2 (oxygen) sensor. Otherwise the PCM cannot adjust the fuel/air ratio properly, and you will always run rich (best case scenario) or the truck won't run properly or at all (worst case).

Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Heh yeah 02 sorry it was 3:33 am was out of it...

Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wickedwiggles
Heh yeah 02 sorry it was 3:33 am was out of it...
When you get it running right, can you post a video? I would like to hear how the cam sounds!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Sure. I can do that

Quick Reply: Update