2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
texaschick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i already replaced it once about 3 months ago and it's doing it again. i've had the battery and alternator checked and both were fine. it only does it when it's hot outside or if i've been driving for a while. for instance when i drive it to the store turn the truck off go and get what i need about 10-30 minutes later come out the truck wont start. i have to sit there and wait for it to cool down before it will start again. if it's really hot outside once the truck starts up i put it reverse or drive and sometimes when i'm driving it will shut off.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the first thing you ought to do is swap the fog light relay or another non essential for your asd relay. when that thing goes it has similar symptoms to an iac going out. you'll hit the gas easy and let off and it'll bog down and die if you don't feather the gas to keep it running. also if you back up, as soon as you let off the gas it'll shut off. the relay has gone on my truck before and i changed the iac and tps before my dad found some info about the asd relay on the net. so i wasted about 100$ when it was a 10$ fix all along.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
texaschick

can you explain this to me better cuz im a girl that doesn't want to take it to anyone and don't want to get screwed over. i don't understand the abbreviations. if this is easy to fix let me know what to do and i so can fix it.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're putting way too much faith in what the internet or this forum can do for you. Take it to a mechanic.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
texaschick

i was just trying to get some ideas as to what might be wrong. you don't have to be mean about it. i dont have the money to be replacing all these parts and it still doesn't fix it and all along it could be something simple like a relay.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by texaschick
i was just trying to get some ideas as to what might be wrong. you don't have to be mean about it. i dont have the money to be replacing all these parts and it still doesn't fix it and all along it could be something simple like a relay.
I wasn't being mean, just practical. You make my point for me. Stop wasting money guessing what's wrong and find someone who knows what they're doing to fix it right.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

If you replaced the terminal 3 months ago and its burning thru again, how can you say the battery and alternator are fine? Engine heat or run time should not any effect on a battery terminal. I might be off base, but it sounds more like a charging problem. something is feeding back and melting that terminal. I am not denying the ASD gone bad, had that problem my 97. While she hasn't stated when the problem started or how long its been like this, some more information would be helpful.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the fuse box in the engine has asd relay on the diagram in the lid, swap it for a non essential relay like horn or fog lights because they all use the same style relay, its a quick, easy, free test and might fix it. and as far as the wire goes, that does sound like a problem with the charging system, have you had the alternator and battery tested? and are all the wires good and tight and corrosion free?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

A charging problem can cause problems with the ECM, which can cause symptoms like hard starting, poor running and stalling. Many auto parts places can do a quick charging system check for free.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
texaschick

yea i'm going out to look at it now