2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm assuming this isn't a factory tint (+ removal)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are most tint jobs somewhat permanent? Can I go in to a place and tell them I'd like less of a tint. (aka remove the old one and replace with a new %)[/QUOTE]

If the Tint isn't permanent you can feel it if you rub your finger on the edge of your window with it partially down.
It is fairly easy to remove if you want to attempt it yourself. If you want to do it quick all you need is a razor blade and Windex. it has two layers clear and a colored layer. you can peal the clear layer pretty easily but the color will be stuck. the easiest way to remove the tinted part after removing the clear layer is to (optional) remove the rubber trim around the window. get a dark trash bag and try to wrap as much of the window as you can with the bag and tape it down you don't "Need" to cover it all but the more you cover the easier it will be. spray the tinted area with the windex soak it and cover the rest of the window then cover it with the remainder of the bag. You want to create a greenhouse effect with the bag let it sit in the sun for about an hour or two and then remove the bag and have a razor blade and it will peal right off. if you don't use the bag it will be pretty tough to get all of the adhesive off the window. before you put new tint on it will all have to be COMPLETELY off. I did my drivers side and it wasn't that hard just be patient. If you can find a place that only charges $5 - $10 to remove it it is probably worth it to let them do it. Good luck

Last edited by Rebhays27; 06-11-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Thanks so much for all the help! I seriously love the community here.

Yeah, the tint is a turn off personally, I would do no tint or a very light factory-like tint.

Glad to hear its not a big deal though. I'm sure I'll be making another thread soon about my possible purchase.

(PS My state of IL is 1 of 4 that doesn't give a %, just says "NO" for front windows, ha)

Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by bobboraze
Thanks so much for all the help! I seriously love the community here.

Yeah, the tint is a turn off personally, I would do no tint or a very light factory-like tint.

Glad to hear its not a big deal though. I'm sure I'll be making another thread soon about my possible purchase.

(PS My state of IL is 1 of 4 that doesn't give a %, just says "NO" for front windows, ha)
These folks are a very big help my mechanic buddy is wondering why I quit picking his brain for help as far as the tint it is really cheap and a very satisfying feeling when you look at it and you did it correctly yourself. If Texas would let us I'd do mine limo black all the way. Just be sure whey you reapply don't spare or be shy with the soapy water (spray bottle) and don't let it crease. I think If I ever do the front windows again I'm going to remove them altogether it's more work but makes the tinting easier. IMO
Good Luck and have fun with it tha's all that matters( unless you plan on showing us )

Last edited by Rebhays27; 06-12-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tint laws can be circumnavigated. I have 5% all the way around on mine, and while I have never gotten any chit from the local fuzz, I have ammo just in case.
In our state, side glass can be no darker than 35%, and there is no limit on the back glass.
Windshield has a 10% limit and cannot be applied lower than the AS1 logo on the glass itself.
The brow on mine extends about 4 inches lower than that stamp.
The cops around here are fairly good natured, and unless you **** them off they will leave most things alone.
My solution to the legality is to obtain a medical prescription for the film. Either your medical doctor or Eye doctor can write you one for it.
I keep mine in my glove box, just in case.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 06-12-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

dang i should of done that befor i got a ticket for my tint thats a good idea laramie

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V10Venom
That looks like 10% tint, maybe 5%. I've had it on a couple cars. It looks awesome but it is very hard to see out of at night. The look was worth it to me though on those cars.
I don't think it's 5% if the rear window is tinted as you can see through it a little. I'd guess it's more like 15%-20%. When I had 5% you couldn't see through it like that unless you looked from the rear so you looked through one window and then through the untinted windshield. IF you had a tinted window on the other side you couldn't see through it.

BTW no that is not factory tint. You can remove it. What I do to remove it is mix up some baby shampoo and water(this is what many tinters use to apply the tint also). Then I spray it down good and start scraping with a razor blade. Once you get the tint started you can usually just peel it off but it leaves the glue behind and that you have to keep wet and keep scraping. It takes a while but you can get it off. Probably takes me an hour or so for the front 2 windows but I've only done it a couple of times. Most tinters can do this a lot faster and some use a steamer that is slightly easier. If you don't have time you can pay a shop to do it. Usually it's not that expensive. Then they can just replace it with whatever tint you want or they can leave it untinted.

You can't remove the factory tint but since that's not factory you are okay.

I had 5% on my front two windows and loved it but the cops didn't. After 2 tickets I finally just took it off and left it off. I hate how it looks without it and I hate people being able to see in but honestly I also hate the tickets.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
It all depends on how the light is hitting it. Most consider 5% to be a "limo" tint. Look at my sig pic. That is 5% all the way around. Sometimes you can see right through it, and other times you can't see a damn thing.
When you have 5% on the back window you can usually see through it fairly easy because the windshield is usually untinted and lets soo much light in. However, when you have side windows like that or a side looking through the back you usually can't see through it. If you have the tint on both sides so basically you are looking through 2 windows with tint you can't usually see through with 5%. On rear windows with untinted windshields you can usually easily see through 5%. I don't like 5% at all on the rear window. Way too light for me. I have the factory tint which is around a 20% then 5% over it and I can still see through it if the sun is bright. If I hadn't had factory tint I would have gone with double layers of 5%.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

My solution to the legality is to obtain a medical prescription for the film. Either your medical doctor or Eye doctor can write you one for it.
I keep mine in my glove box, just in case.
That doesn't work in some states. Here a medical exemption only allows you to have 35% on the front two windows instead of 50%. That's on trucks and cars. Not sure if it allows darker in the rear on cars or not as it's already 35%. On MPV's it's as dark as you want on the rear medical exemption or not. It also allows you to have a 70% tint applied to the windshield. So it doesn't just give you a free pass to do whatever you want in all states.

My experience with 5% tint was some cops don't care and others do. The two tickets I got were both from the same guy. He was the only one ever to say anything to me about it although I tried to keep it rolled down when I saw cops.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
That doesn't work in some states. Here a medical exemption only allows you to have 35% on the front two windows instead of 50%. That's on trucks and cars. Not sure if it allows darker in the rear on cars or not as it's already 35%. On MPV's it's as dark as you want on the rear medical exemption or not. It also allows you to have a 70% tint applied to the windshield. So it doesn't just give you a free pass to do whatever you want in all states.

My experience with 5% tint was some cops don't care and others do. The two tickets I got were both from the same guy. He was the only one ever to say anything to me about it although I tried to keep it rolled down when I saw cops.
I never said it was fool proof. This is just a method that works for ME.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I never said it was fool proof. This is just a method that works for ME.
Yup works for you. I'm not sure what all states it works in but I think it's several. I could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: I'm assuming this isn't a factory tint (+ removal)