2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

If you think you have it bad.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
well your tranny sucks anyway, mine is fine, and for some reason its painted blue, saw that while working on my xhaust
Pray it wasn't done by the same shop that Neon got his done at. His was painted blue.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Pray it wasn't done by the same shop that Neon got his done at. His was painted blue.
He'll probably be fine. Neon was a sucker and they could probably tell a mile away.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:04 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it was rebuilt, i was told that when i bought it, and i doubt it was from the same shop neon had his done at, considering the hell ive put it thru, and its still working

Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I know it's never a good idea to buy a vehicle on the first model year, I was just having some fun at their expense. It would hurt me to think I just spent 35K for a truck and it's already breaking down. I bought mine from the factory in 97 and it cost me a whopping 22K out the door, fully loaded. I thought that was enough. I was shocked at how prices have skyrocketed. I looked at one of the new 1500 and I have to tell you, ours is a much better truck. The plastic used on the inside is really cheap, and the motors & tranny, I don't even want to guess at. We all know what a great job Daimler has done, so I wouldn't want anything to do with that. Our trannys may be weak, but the 318 & 360s are solid motors with a proven history. I don't know about these new ones.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I know it's never a good idea to buy a vehicle on the first model year, I was just having some fun at their expense. It would hurt me to think I just spent 35K for a truck and it's already breaking down. I bought mine from the factory in 97 and it cost me a whopping 22K out the door, fully loaded. I thought that was enough. I was shocked at how prices have skyrocketed. I looked at one of the new 1500 and I have to tell you, ours is a much better truck. The plastic used on the inside is really cheap, and the motors & tranny, I don't even want to guess at. We all know what a great job Daimler has done, so I wouldn't want anything to do with that. Our trannys may be weak, but the 318 & 360s are solid motors with a proven history. I don't know about these new ones.
Well, all new vehicles are a crap shoot. It's not like you can hop on a forum and check to see what other people think the reliability is. You can try and more often than not, there is going to people out there that think the car your looking at is the stoutest thing around, but no one really knows. Personally I think the only way to know what reliability is on a vehicle is to buy a certain model that has been around a long time. Like a mid range 2nd gen, or a 2005-2006 model. Those vehicles would have been right in the middle of the model run, and usually manufactures have the bugs worked out.

Personally, I think that the 2004-2005 Rams were about the best production run 3rd gen ever had. Don't ask me what I think was better in 2nd gen..... I think we are all pretty well equal in terms of components.
End

Old 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go fiqure its a dodge

Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
estech2
Professional

Dodge stopped making trucks in the 80's then introduced the Gen 2 and now they are back to junk with the Gen 3.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by estech2
Dodge stopped making trucks in the 80's then introduced the Gen 2 and now they are back to junk with the Gen 3.
What personal experience have you had with the 3rd generation trucks?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:30 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bottom line is... if you have a good truck, keep it. do not trade up. Ford Dodge and GM make money by Fricking up a good thing, I hate to say this, but all brands make great trucks, just never at the same time.

The new 2500 Rams are recall central, My dealer wanted to inspect my 06 for the drag link problem ( not applicable ) thiers othier recall notices for the 07 + 2500 Rams.

My 06 is a excellant truck..

THe 09 Ram 1500 is a cluster F... with a shinny new skin, in a couple of years dodge will sort out the issues..

THe F-150 back in 04 was a dbbl cluster F... And I owned one and Ford is still having issues with the F-150, and now the 6.4 Turbo diesel.

THe tundra has issues, Gms have issues, but thiers still some well made trucks from all the brands that you will never hear abought.

But I will never ever buy a Ford.. I know loyal Dodge guys that jumped to Ford and are happy.

Never buy a first year re design...

Old 06-21-2009, 09:24 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
If you think you have it bad...This will make you feel better. We all have old trucks that have little problems here and there, and require maintenance. Best part is they are generally good trucks and are PAID FOR. Imagine buying a 35K truck and having problems. Well. I was wandering about the interweb and came across this post:

I just called my dealer where i bought my 09 ram and there is a recall on all the followin:

1) Keyless remote entry (problem with the actual key)
2)mufflers (clogging up and restricting flow)
3)computer (needs to be reflashed. will give better power, stop shaking at idol, and if anyone is having problems with there fuel saver light not coming on it will fix it)
4) motor sensor (not sure which one)
5) fuel tank pressure sensor (will make your check engine light turn on)

And the trucks are only a few months old. Makes you love your truck even more. I told you you'd be feeling better.

I had way worse problems than that with my 50K 05 powerstroke. This brings a tear to my eye. I miss that truck, I wish it wasn't such a big piece of sh*%. Kind of like an old girlfriend thats no good for you and you know it and still cry when shes gone

Quick Reply: If you think you have it bad.....