2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whoops

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default whoops

so i finally got around to finishing up my truck this weekend. i did the other valve cover gasket, brass cap, rotor, wires, u joint in the driver wheel, and fixed that adjuster arm on the driver drum.

i noticed that the wire going to my hood light has another connector about half way up with nothing plugged into it, did these trucks come with an auxiliary light that you can plug in there? what is that thing for?

the reason i put the whoops title is because when i did the wires i had the routing written on the back of my hand to make it easier, with a front arrow and everything just like the haynes manual. i did the passenger side right, but when i did the driver side i read it off my hand upside down so instead of having it hooked up on the cap 1-3-5-7 i had them reversed 1 was on 7, 3 was on 5, 5 was on 3 and 7 was on 1.

it started just fine, sounded a little off though. I walked to the back of the truck and noticed that the exhaust smelled like gas. went to the engine and hit the throttle a little bit (maybe 1500rpm) and "POP!" i was just thinking wtf? did it again and "POP!" hmm... cut it off (maybe ran 1 min) and figured that i had a wire crossed somewhere. i checked and thats when i realized that it was totally backwards, the driver side header was just barely warm so i guess it got a little bit of fire.

i corrected the wires and started it. after a few seconds the exhaust smelled like it should and was running great, i revved it a couple times and saw that the backfiring knocked some rust loose from inside the pipes because it was on the ground under my exhaust tips.

the moral of the story is you should always double check what you just did to make sure you got it right the first time. well its either that or you could just not be absent minded.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing on mine Sheriff. I figured it was one of those OEM "multiple mounting/applicatons" type thing. Now you have peaked my interest, so a day under the for me LOL.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That plug is for a temperature sensor for the digital overrhead console. I take it you dont have that.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

negative. always wished i did. isn't the overhead console what the white plug beside the brake pedal that doesn't have a mate goes to also?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have a plug on my wire going up to my light but I do have a plug with no mate just off the main wireing could you take a pic of that plug so I can see if it is the same as mine I am going to put the over head computer in as soon as I find one in the bone yard.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i did my headers, i ended up crossing a single wire...and it ran exactly like you said. except, i was under my truck looking for exhaust leaks when it first popped...i thought i had lost an ear drum lol

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by wjxavier
when i did my headers, i ended up crossing a single wire...and it ran exactly like you said. except, i was under my truck looking for exhaust leaks when it first popped...i thought i had lost an ear drum lol
yeah, it about made me drop a brick. the only reason i had all the wires off was because i had to have them with me to swap them under the warranty.

this is that wire, don't mind the red and blue wires, those are for my lights.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
yeah, it about made me drop a brick. the only reason i had all the wires off was because i had to have them with me to swap them under the warranty.

this is that wire, don't mind the red and blue wires, those are for my lights.
Does the plug on the wires going to your hood light look the same. Thanks for the pic

Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That plug will go to the digital overhead console. I have an harness from an 01 in my garage. All I need to do is get the console. 99-01 only.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

the one on my hood looks similar to the light connection.

Quick Reply: whoops