2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gears i think of

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will need a carrier designed for 5.13 gears for the front and rear. its because the size difference between a 4.10 and 5.13 is so radical, the ring gear has to physically move closer to the pinion. you can use a "thick" gear, but it costs about the same as a new carrier.

if you ar planning on going with a locker of some sort, it would be a good idea to upgrade to 35 spline like mentioned above.

i know its alot of money, but the carrier (or locker in this case) needs to be matched to the axles, so if you buy a 31 spline locker, then find that you need to upgrade to 35 spline axles later, you will need to buy another locker with 35 splines.

we all run into this problem. you go to change one thing and figure "while im in there i might as well upgrade that as well and save me time and money". while this does save money in the long run, it also turns a $300 job into a $3000 job very quickly.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well like i said, i dont know if i will go with the locker just yet because i need to worry abotu driving the truck before making it unstoppable..

surrprising enough, my stupid *** followed that little class there helms.. so the carrier, can i get jsut a new one of those?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM
helms
All Star

yup, thats the idea, ill try to find the site i was looking at when i was organizing parts for my little "gear" venture.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
helms
All Star

this is a good place. follow the prompts and input the info for the truck the axles came from, lots of info here

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axleinfo.jsp?sr=1

Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 PM
helms
All Star

FYI: this site calls a carrier a "case".

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
helms
All Star

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet...id=DAN:706041X
this is a bare case, i beleive for an "open" diff, meaning, no limited slip or anything... but call them to confirm. to use this, you would take the spiders and side gears out of your current rearend and put them in this carrier.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i will take a look, but still, is the detroit softlocker ( i found on 4wheelonline.com) strong enough for that size tires?

and can i put the new carrier in the front, and then just put the locker in rear and opperate fine?

ok, now this new carrier, those rings are the shimes? asking that one, but i can just do that carrier for the front, and the locker for rear, and be set. ales would work...

i mean, the front i am just going to leave an open diff until i make this pig into a straigh mud truck, but for right now, open it is, and locker rear, so that shoudl work. if i am thinking right

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 06-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
helms
All Star

open front and locker rear sounds fine. im not sure about the strength of the softlocker, i havent donr any research on those. yes the rings in the pic are shims

Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well, i will then look into the oepn front, new carrier.. that was a good site. i thank you.. and now i have to order that, the gears, and wait for the next pay check after that to get the locker... but the trans come first. i need to be able to back up... which i cant do right now seeing as i blew reverse...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
helms
All Star

yes, sometimes reverse is a nice option.

Quick Reply: gears i think of