2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Stabilizer Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldor
Cut the bolt head with a cutting disk on a grinder or a rip saw then bash the rest of the bolt with a punch/BFH. Even though this thread is from last year haha, hope he got the bolt out.
Thats exactly what I ended up doing to get mine out..I couldn't believe how well it was gaulded in there.

Originally Posted by Sport1500
Do you think the dealer will be able to order me just the bolt? I would just go to the hardware store but it's a weird bolt with a sort of spacer built into it to keep the strut out away from the drag link, and the washer that goes on the backside of the eyehole is part of the bolt as well. I didn't get new hardware with my shock

Rob
If you're talking the side by the wheel, IIRC, it's just a normal bolt, try lowes, TSC, etc. - the one for my skyjacker one was 1/2"x4" I believe.

The other side comes built into the stabilizer (the stock ones anyway, says my dealer), so you have to buy a new one.

If you're gonna buy a new one, just buy an aftermarket. The stock ones are a ripoff (~$170 stock, $56 skyjacker?..no brainer)

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Sport1500
Rookie

Yeah I have a new Rough Country shock but it didn't come with new mounting hardware. I'm talking about the bolt that goes through the drag link. I was afraid of them saying it came as part of the oem stabilizer since I didn't see a separate part number on any exploded diagrams. I may see if Rough Country can help me out.

Rob

Last edited by Sport1500; 04-16-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Crap I thought I had my old one laying in my scrap pile.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 04-16-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Sport1500
Rookie

I called Rough Country and they said it should have come with bolts but I bought it from topguncustomz on eBay so I have to contact them to get my order number and then call Rough Country back. But in the end I think I will get them for free if I can ever get ahold of somebody at top gun

Rob

Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sport1500
I called Rough Country and they said it should have come with bolts but I bought it from topguncustomz on eBay so I have to contact them to get my order number and then call Rough Country back. But in the end I think I will get them for free if I can ever get ahold of somebody at top gun

Rob
Yeah. I'd imagine it should be free.

If it doesn't go well, the skyjacker one is just a plain old bolt on that side, so you could always pick one up if it's similar.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Chris Latham
Default 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Steering Stabilizer Removal

No heat, no bs. All you have to do is take the stabilizer to tie rod bolt off first. Yes...the supposedly hard one that everyone has had trouble with.

Step 1 : sawzall with metal blade

Last few steps :
Cut between the stabilizer and the 3/4in wrench nut between tie rod and stabilizer leaving the 3/4 wrench nut in tact. At this point take off the other bolt ( There is Only 2 Bolts for those who cant count ) securing the stabilizer. Now you should have the stabilizer completely off leaving just the castle nut facing the back of the vehicle ( On my 4x4 it is 4 inches from the gear cover of the front axle ). At this point take Off the castle nut to the tapered sleeve bolt. Then take a torque bar and a 3/4in socket to the 3/4 tapered sleeve bolt. Once torqued 1/16 of an inch it falls right off. ( I used a 2 ft torque bar with a short 3/4 socket and my 1 ton jack handle to unfreeze that rusted bolt ).

Thats It !

Install the new one !

Autozone KYB Steering Stabilizer = $34.99
Part # SS10323

Above is a cheap efficient steering stabilizer for those who just want the simple things in life.

TOTAL 30 MINUTE JOB ( includes 2 smoke breaks )
Its that simple. No Heat, No PB blaster, No wasting time. 10 minutes to remove for most competent mechanics.

Problem Solved & Enjoy

Last edited by Chris Latham; 09-29-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Name changes within text

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer Removal