2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help - the brakes failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
HDRIDER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - the brakes failed

I was driving along and noticed that the brake & ABS lights were on, and though I never did like the stopping power on the truck it seamed to be harder to stop. I checked the fluid & found the rear Reservoir low and the front empty.

I see a wet area that appears to be coming from between the chasis & tank, so I assume that the brake line for the rear wheels is leaking.

The real question--- Can I change the brake line without taking the fuel tank out??

Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you can, but IMO it's not worth it to be safe. You can remove the tank and install an OEM line, or if you have tubing benders and the correct flaring tools, you can do it without removing the tank. Of course you won't be able to mount the line to the frame without removing the tank. So it will vibrate , and eventually rub through if you are not sure it's not hitting anything.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
HDRIDER

Thanks - I'm afraid of removing ths tank because I have no expierence with Diesels. If I drop the tank will I have problems priming the fuel lines??

Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that is a question you should ask in the diesel section.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced the same brake line. It was leaking in the same spot. I just bent the line myself, and abandoned the old line behind the tank. Removed everything that wasn't behind the tank. I wrapped the entire new line in 3/8" rubber fuel line to protect it. Use what clips I could.

Upgraded to 1-ton dually wheel cylinders at the same time, and bled the brakes. The truck stops better than it ever did before.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
HDRIDER

3/8 fuel line sounds good, as does changing out the brake cylinders. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

What's the deal with these brake lines, and why do they seem to keep leaking? After replacing them, I'm sure you guys have found out what caused the break, maybe it can be prevented?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They just rust through. It's usually in the same spot between the gas tank and frame. I suppose the road debris that sand blasts the rest of your brake lines doesn't get up there. The lines I replaced it with are stainless steel, and the section I placed behind the gas tank is zinc coated. Not to mention everything but the connectors, and where the line is clipped to the frame is covered in rubber hose.

The old line lasted 14 years. I figure the new one is good for at least the same

Quick Reply: help - the brakes failed