2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 probs, speedo not working, brake + ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 probs, speedo not working, brake + ABS light on

Hi all,

Got my truck back from the body shop yesterday and I'm already having new problems with it. Last night I was cruising down the road and the brake and ABS dash lights both came on at the same time. Brakes feel no different than before, fluid is topped off and not leaking anywhere. What should I look for here?

Also, I had to do a little sneaking around at 3am this morning for a TPing job so I shut the truck off in neutral at 20mph and let it coast to a stop in front of the victims house. When I left about a half hour later I noticed that the speedo stayed at 0mph until I hit 25mph, then it would jump up and read accurately. Would this be caused by letting the truck roll when it's turned off? How do I fix it?

These problems couldn't be caused by something the body shop did could they? All they did was replace the drivers side fender and passenger box side. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
gallion699
Default re

mine did that too and ended up being the speed sensor in the the rear end, on top of the pumpkin. hope that helps

Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks for the reply. How much did that cost you and how difficult was it to replace?

Two other options crossed my mind this morning

1) When the body shop unplugged the battery it may have messed with the Superchips flash that I have on the PCM

2) I left my truck unlocked with the windows down last night when I got TPed, and it was obvious that someone was in my truck. Is it possible that a fuse was taken out or loosened? One of the guys that TPed me is a mechanic, so it wouldn't be that hard for him to figure out what to do.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it was the rear wheel speed sensor on mine and on my sisters 99 also (exact same symptoms). about 40$ and 5 minutes to change. i don't know if rolling to a stop would affect it at all though. since you had the truck off the sensor shouldn't be getting any power.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stop TPing houses...

My ABS and brake light stays on every time I reflash my PCM. I'd try unloading and reloading the SC program as its a cheaper fix. Also check the PCM connections to see if they're tight.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
the Master5851

I had the same problem. It is the speed sensor in the rear end. That controls the real ABS. Fix that and both problems will go away.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
xx2000RAMxx

I've had the speed sensor fail on me twice. The second time I took it to the local Goodyear service center to have them replace it since it was 12 degrees outside and I didn't have anyplace to work on it. It cost $119 for them to replace it. Then a couple of months later I discovered they broke off the old one and left the pieces of it to grind in the gears, and had to have the rear end rebuilt for another $800. Be sure to change it yourself if you can and if it doesn't all come out clean it out first before driving it.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look in to that as soon as I get the time. It's kind of fun watching my speed go from 0 to 30 in less than a second. Makes me feel fast

Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issues with mine a month ago. It ended up being the input/output sensor. Which happens to trigger the ABS/Brake lights when it goes out.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
I had the same issues with mine a month ago. It ended up being the input/output sensor. Which happens to trigger the ABS/Brake lights when it goes out.
Is that the same thing as a speed sensor, or something different?

Quick Reply: 2 probs, speedo not working, brake + ABS light on