2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting Interior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting Interior Trim

Hey guys, I have two 1996 Dodge Rams, One of which is wrecked. The wrecked one I have has the grey trim that I love, and have grown up with since we bought it new in '96. But, the new Ram I have has the brown/tan trim, and I am working on moving almost the whole interior of my old Ram into my new one. The problem is that some of the trim that I'm gonna be moving is cracked or totally broken from the accident it was in. What I'm wondering is if there's any sort of trim paint that I can use to get my brown/tan trim to look like the grey trim that I've grown up with.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah look at autozone or oreilleys and they make some trim paint....prob not a perfect match tho but close

Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Yes, there is vinyl paint for vehicle interiors. Don't get the crappy stuff at Pep Boys, Kragen, Walmart or any of those place. I had to do something similar with and older vehicle and the best place I found was to go to a paint shop. An automotive paint shop where body shops buy their paints from. The paint I got was from SEMA I believe and it is an excellent paint. It sprays on beautifully, has a really fast flash point (drying time) can be used on plastic, vinyl, metal (you need a special primer for metal because the flash is slower on most spray on primers and it will curl them up),and just about anything. I asked the SEMA rep since I had several applications back then. 1970s cars had a lot of metal and plastics mixed on interiors. It costs a little more than the others, but when dry it wont rub off or flake or chip. I had that car for years after the repaint and sold it looking great. The good thing also is that their paints will match 90% of interiors.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

I know I saw some mopar trim paint, but it said that it only covered '97-'02 Rams. Is there any way that that paint would match on my '96? I was just wondering if anyone else might have tried this paint on their interior.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Yes, there is vinyl paint for vehicle interiors. Don't get the crappy stuff at Pep Boys, Kragen, Walmart or any of those place. I had to do something similar with and older vehicle and the best place I found was to go to a paint shop. An automotive paint shop where body shops buy their paints from. The paint I got was from SEMA I believe and it is an excellent paint. It sprays on beautifully, has a really fast flash point (drying time) can be used on plastic, vinyl, metal (you need a special primer for metal because the flash is slower on most spray on primers and it will curl them up),and just about anything. I asked the SEMA rep since I had several applications back then. 1970s cars had a lot of metal and plastics mixed on interiors. It costs a little more than the others, but when dry it wont rub off or flake or chip. I had that car for years after the repaint and sold it looking great. The good thing also is that their paints will match 90% of interiors.
Awesome, Exactly what I was looking for. Will most paint shops have the type of thing I'm looking for? How expensive will one of these probably be? Thank you very, VERY much.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Awesome, Exactly what I was looking for. Will most paint shops have the type of thing I'm looking for? How expensive will one of these probably be? Thank you very, VERY much.
I would suggest Googling in your area for "Automotive Paint Stores" or "Auto Paint Distributors" once you get rolling you'll find something. Here in So Cal I had no trouble finding it. I did that project about 10 years ago and I had no trouble matching up the dark red interior of a 1975 Pontiac. I would think the modern colors are much easier to match. I didn't have the luxury of a production date on the can to match up the colors, I went by "eye" matching. It comes in Aerosol spray cans and about 10 years ago it cost me like $5.00 per can. Not too much in my opinion. I didn't have a choice since all I could do was get interior trim pieces at the Junk Yard and paint them to match. After 20+ years of sun exposure the interior plastics on that car were disintegrating. Just clean your parts really well, and you should have a paint for life. Once it dries, it looks like the panel was always that color.

I can do you one better. After writing this response I went to the garage and I dug up an old can I still had lying around. Here is the info you will need to get a retail distributor in your area. It's actually called SEM Products, (I was close) the product is called "Color Coat Flexible Coatings" and you can find them at SEM Products, Charlotte NC 28217, 704-522-1006. That is all straight from the can. If it has changed I'm sure you can Google it.

Last edited by Ram15002ndGen; 06-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmc truck has paint that matches factory plastics for the old fords....not sure about our trucks tho....you might go browse thru there

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Ram_Me
Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I would suggest Googling in your area for "Automotive Paint Stores" or "Auto Paint Distributors" once you get rolling you'll find something. Here in So Cal I had no trouble finding it. I did that project about 10 years ago and I had no trouble matching up the dark red interior of a 1975 Pontiac. I would think the modern colors are much easier to match. I didn't have the luxury of a production date on the can to match up the colors, I went by "eye" matching. It comes in Aerosol spray cans and about 10 years ago it cost me like $5.00 per can. Not too much in my opinion. I didn't have a choice since all I could do was get interior trim pieces at the Junk Yard and paint them to match. After 20+ years of sun exposure the interior plastics on that car were disintegrating. Just clean your parts really well, and you should have a paint for life. Once it dries, it looks like the panel was always that color.

I can do you one better. After writing this response I went to the garage and I dug up an old can I still had lying around. Here is the info you will need to get a retail distributor in your area. It's actually called SEM Products, (I was close) the product is called "Color Coat Flexible Coatings" and you can find them at SEM Products, Charlotte NC 28217, 704-522-1006. That is all straight from the can. If it has changed I'm sure you can Google it.
Thank you so much, I pulled up that company's website, and it gave me locations of paint shops a few miles away that carry their products! Thank you again!

Quick Reply: Painting Interior Trim