2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram.. Question about Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009 | 07:28 PM
Hendogg
|
Question 98 Dodge Ram.. Question about Codes

Yes i have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 Gas.. And i am getting a Code P1391 and need to know how to fix the Problem.. I have put a new CMP and a CKP sincere in the truck and i am steel getting the code and it has a Miss about 2500 RPM But you can get on it and it go's Away or if you let off of the gas it go's away all sow.... And it idle's about 800 RPM... Any Help Would be Grate.. I have Look in the book and are not shore on how to check to see why the PCM is not getting a signel form the CMP AND the CKP.. If it was a ATV or Dirt Bike i would all ready of got it fixt kaz thats what i work on... All my Code Reader Book says is Intermittent Loss Of CMP or CKP

Old 06-27-2009 | 09:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Hendogg
Yes, I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 gas. I am getting a Code P1391 and need to know how to fix the problem. I have put new CMP and CKP sensors in the truck and i am still getting the code. It has a miss at about 2500 RPM but you can get on it and it goes away. If you let off of the gas it goes away. It idle's about 800 RPM. Any help would be great. I have looked in the book and am not shure on how to check to see why the PCM is not getting a signal from the CMP AND the CKP. If it was an ATV or dirt bike, I would have already got it fixed, as that is what I work on. All my Code Reader Book says is Intermittent Loss Of CMP or CKP.
Did you try Googling that code?

If you've replaced both sensors, its possibly the wiring or the wiring harnesses.

Old 06-27-2009 | 10:57 PM
Hendogg
|

The problem that i am haven is it run fine before the Cat miss t up.. And we put all of these new parts on the truck.. And then found out it was the cat the hole time..

Old 06-28-2009 | 07:32 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Maybe the fuel sync needs to be reset or you have a defective part. Or a wire prob like Jason said.

Old 06-29-2009 | 04:00 AM
Hendogg
|

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe the fuel sync needs to be reset or you have a defective part. Or a wire prob like Jason said.
Ok then how do you Reset the Fuel Sync?? And i have drove the truck a little bit. But it has a bad miss.. And i put the parts on a anther truck and they work fine.. Maybe it needs to be reset.. How do i do that??

Old 06-29-2009 | 05:26 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You need a scanner capable of resetting it.

Old 06-30-2009 | 12:55 PM
Hendogg
|
Question

Is that the same as a OB2 Scanner tool? Kaz i have 1 of those and i have Cleared the code's 2 or 3 times.. But i can start the truck and drive it down the road and the Check Engine lite will come on and it's the same code P1391.. If it was the Crank Sensor it should not run Right?? But if it is the cam Sensor it would run but not very good right?? Because if it was the Crank Sensor it would not no when to Fire Right and there for it should not run.... And the Cam Sensor buy the book All it does is gives the PCM a referents to what RPM the motor is running at So that the PCM can tell the rest of the Parts on the motor what to do Right?? Thats why it will Idle just fine but when you drive it and get over a cerent RPM and the PCM looks for a RPM and it is not there is falls on its face.. That is if i read the book right?? Or did i miss some thing in the book?????

Old 06-30-2009 | 04:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I imagine either one of those sensors can be off just enough for the pcm to not like something and throw a code , even if it runs . As far as the fuel sync goes, you need a rather expensive scanner to be able to reset it.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram.. Question about Codes