2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud clunk in reverse engagement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its normal. Wont hurt anything and IS inherent to being a dodge.

The drive shell and the direct drum couple together. The drive shell has notches cut into it, the direct drum has tabs made onto it, these peices fit together, the drive shell will wear over time, the direct drum eats into it making clearance.

The direct drum is applied in reverse. so when you have your foot on the break in neutral or park, the drive shell is stopped, as is the direct drum because it is not applied, only the forward drum is turning, but the clutches are not applied.

So when you put the shifter into reverse the rear band comes on, thats ok, because the reverse drum is not turning, BUT the direct clutch comes on, when you apply those clutches they grab the forward drum hub that the direct clutches are splined to.

As i told you the forward drum is turning, because it is splined into the TC which is always turning, so when the direct drum grabs the spinning forward drum, it stops it from turning, but is a very abrupt stop and the forward drum will pull the direct drum into the stopped driving shell. When the shell is new you wont hear anything, but after the shell wears there will be enough clearance to hear a loud clunk.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you MonteC for setting everyones mind at ease.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
bigsquat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was really loud as well, i noticed a lot of play in the rear diff yoke. i took the carrier out and found i had spun carrier bearings. since i needed a rear carrier i put in a limited slip. then i had the tranny rebuilt, and i still have a clunk. im glad to here its normal

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MonteC
Its normal. Wont hurt anything and IS inherent to being a dodge.

The drive shell and the direct drum couple together. The drive shell has notches cut into it, the direct drum has tabs made onto it, these peices fit together, the drive shell will wear over time, the direct drum eats into it making clearance.

The direct drum is applied in reverse. so when you have your foot on the break in neutral or park, the drive shell is stopped, as is the direct drum because it is not applied, only the forward drum is turning, but the clutches are not applied.

So when you put the shifter into reverse the rear band comes on, thats ok, because the reverse drum is not turning, BUT the direct clutch comes on, when you apply those clutches they grab the forward drum hub that the direct clutches are splined to.

As i told you the forward drum is turning, because it is splined into the TC which is always turning, so when the direct drum grabs the spinning forward drum, it stops it from turning, but is a very abrupt stop and the forward drum will pull the direct drum into the stopped driving shell. When the shell is new you wont hear anything, but after the shell wears there will be enough clearance to hear a loud clunk.

If I could only understand all of that

Anywho, every Dodge I have ever drove or ridden in has the clunk. And I think the response above explains why, but I sure as hell don't understand why. Thanks anyway, MonteC!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, mind does it. Always has done it.

Olyelr what MonteC is trying to say is "It's dun dere suppose to clunk when you put yer **** in reverse cause it's der made that way"

At least that's what I got out of it. So I'm at peace with my clunk.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Mine does it too, always has. Dodge trannys are funny in many ways. I was used to GM trannys before I got this truck and find them (the old ones) to be much smoother. What I found annoying when I first bought this truck (but have now gotten used to) is when you are pulling forward (in drive) at a moderate speed, and you let off the gas to glide because traffic is heavy, it gives a forceful clunk. I guess it's in mid up shift and doesn't like the loss of RPMs or something. It feels like a kick in the butt (the whole truck jerks or shakes). Still runs fine thought. Anyone else feel that?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^Mine does that!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Mine does it too, always has. Dodge trannys are funny in many ways. I was used to GM trannys before I got this truck and find them (the old ones) to be much smoother. What I found annoying when I first bought this truck (but have now gotten used to) is when you are pulling forward (in drive) at a moderate speed, and you let off the gas to glide because traffic is heavy, it gives a forceful clunk. I guess it's in mid up shift and doesn't like the loss of RPMs or something. It feels like a kick in the butt (the whole truck jerks or shakes). Still runs fine thought. Anyone else feel that?

Yep, mine too. Ever since I got my tranny rebuilt it has done this quite forcefully. It will almost bounce/shake the entire truck if you don't keep on the gas while shifting. Almost to the point it feels like the u-joints should have just snapped. My stock unit never did it though... it just slipped right into each gear.

My tranny guy told me it is better for the tranny this way rather than slipping into gear... but I may go through u-joints more often. I told him Id rather change u-joints every other year than a tranny.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

its just a sound of it switching gears. when u dont hear it thats when u get nervous

Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
jeffwpayne

wow that dodge im gonna get does all of these thing's glad to see it's normal,, and i just got alot of my questions answered...thanks

Quick Reply: loud clunk in reverse engagement.