2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud clunk in reverse engagement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default loud clunk in reverse engagement.

So tonight I noticed something that my wife says she's always heard...

There's a loud clunk when I switch from Park to Reverse, sounds kind of like when you pull the emergency/park brake release after having engaged the brake all the way to the floor, but from under the truck.

It's not the U joints as I have just replaced them. Not sure what it is. Truck runs fine in reverse and drive, trans shifts just fine and engages, just a loud clunk when I shift from P to R.

Anybody else's do this? I thought maybe I don't have the parking sprag in the right spot, but I don't think it would engage at all if it wasn't in there correctly. My wife said she's always heard it.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed to the thread. Mine does the exact same thing, and just like you, the U-Joints have been changed.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has always made a small clunk going into reverse.

My wife's 2004 Jeep GC (auto) does as well, although it is a bit softer.

My 1995 Dakota that I traded for this truck did it to, it was louder than my current reverse "clunk".

My dad's 1994 Dakota does it.

Its a Dodge tranny thing. I think its normal.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it too..I thought it was normal. Just shows that reverse is still strong and engages strong i guess.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I seem to notice it if I put it in first gear manually, drive for a few seconds, completely stop, then put it into reverse. It seems like it not only clunks hard, but the shift happens almost instantly. Verses if I were to go from Neutral to Drive or Reverse there is more of a delay. The only thing is I do not get the sound you described (releasing the e brake cable).

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 06-28-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine used to do it till i got my tranny rebuilt. i wasn't thinking about it being one of the problems with the transmisson when i went for a rebuild but it got fixed so i can't complain. i always assumed it was a dodge thing because a lot of guys on here have the same noise. when mine got rebuilt he put a new rear sprag in (on the broken parts list) and i don't know if that has anything to do with it but it might so it may be worth looking into. we need to get montec to tell us what causes the clunk.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

yep Mine Clunks going into Reverse as well.

and now, at 98,000 Miles, The Tranny is Starting to slip I am already broke, don't what I will do once she Completly goes out...

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it as well. Loud thunk and a jerk. Still pulls strong in reverse, even in 4x4 mode. No other tranny issues, so I guess it isn't that big of an issue. (160,000 miles by the way)

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I dont know if id describe it as a clunk. Maybe mine's different. Cause it doesnt sound like the parking brake release's sound. Not as violent as that or as loud. I used the p brake yesterday and when i released it, it scared the **** outta me lol it was LOUD! Mine sounds like more of a solid reverse engage. Like the rear axle making a noise more than anything. Id describe mine as more of a normal thing. Ive drove other trucks and its all the same... Reverse engages feel and sound the same as any other truck ive drove. Im not having any tranny issue's at all. The other day i got pissed about somthing and gave it some juice and spent out in reverse. So no slipping or any problems of any kind on my end.

Ive got an idea, Maybe somone can take a vid or a sound clip of some kind? Then we would all know if we are all hearing the same exact sound.

Last edited by DODGEPWR; 06-28-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aim, can you try to get a video that catches this sound? I am going to try to see what I can do with mine in the morning, and see if this will clear up some of the differences.

Quick Reply: loud clunk in reverse engagement.