2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud clunk in reverse engagement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
bigsquat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i luv my dodge, its a real piece of clunk, you also have to luv the dash falling apart and the paint peeling off. and not to mention the 11 mph. i do like the body lines tho.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 PM
brdarren

im not saying that its not your trans but have checked the t-case? or the rear diff? if your timing was off on your pinnion and ring gears that would cause a clunk as well. another thing that would cause it is te tulip on the rear diff i would actually start at the diff myself by pulling off the driveline and if there is back and fourth play or up and down play that could most likely be your problem. 1 more thing to consider other then the tranny problem with dodge they also have probs with the t-cases it could just be worn out causeing a clunk! but if i was you i would deffinatly start at the diff it dont take long and its the cheapest way to start rather then goin out and buying a new trans!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brdarren
im not saying that its not your trans but have checked the t-case? or the rear diff? if your timing was off on your pinnion and ring gears that would cause a clunk as well. another thing that would cause it is te tulip on the rear diff i would actually start at the diff myself by pulling off the driveline and if there is back and fourth play or up and down play that could most likely be your problem. 1 more thing to consider other then the tranny problem with dodge they also have probs with the t-cases it could just be worn out causeing a clunk! but if i was you i would deffinatly start at the diff it dont take long and its the cheapest way to start rather then goin out and buying a new trans!
read:
Originally Posted by MonteC
Its normal. Wont hurt anything and IS inherent to being a dodge.

The drive shell and the direct drum couple together. The drive shell has notches cut into it, the direct drum has tabs made onto it, these peices fit together, the drive shell will wear over time, the direct drum eats into it making clearance.

The direct drum is applied in reverse. so when you have your foot on the break in neutral or park, the drive shell is stopped, as is the direct drum because it is not applied, only the forward drum is turning, but the clutches are not applied.

So when you put the shifter into reverse the rear band comes on, thats ok, because the reverse drum is not turning, BUT the direct clutch comes on, when you apply those clutches they grab the forward drum hub that the direct clutches are splined to.

As i told you the forward drum is turning, because it is splined into the TC which is always turning, so when the direct drum grabs the spinning forward drum, it stops it from turning, but is a very abrupt stop and the forward drum will pull the direct drum into the stopped driving shell. When the shell is new you wont hear anything, but after the shell wears there will be enough clearance to hear a loud clunk.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by brdarren
JEEEZE!

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
read:

Thankyou!

Old 11-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Scott Aliff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem clunk for months

Finally found out the what the clunking was and i dont know how i missed it , had someone put truck in reverse while i watched underneath i suddenly realized the rearend was twisting up and down while putting the truck in reverse then drive, back and forth the u bolts had come loose over time, this was going on for the last year the whole time I owned it, if you dont have someone to help do what my neighbor did for 15 seconds , find somebody ! Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
KENT426 (05-16-2023)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
So tonight I noticed something that my wife says she's always heard...

There's a loud clunk when I switch from Park to Reverse, sounds kind of like when you pull the emergency/park brake release after having engaged the brake all the way to the floor, but from under the truck.

It's not the U joints as I have just replaced them. Not sure what it is. Truck runs fine in reverse and drive, trans shifts just fine and engages, just a loud clunk when I shift from P to R.

Anybody else's do this? I thought maybe I don't have the parking sprag in the right spot, but I don't think it would engage at all if it wasn't in there correctly. My wife said she's always heard it.
That “clunk” can be heard in the movie “Twister” it was then when I realized that it was completely normal.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
That “clunk” can be heard in the movie “Twister” it was then when I realized that it was completely normal.
LOLOL. Loved that movie.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
LOLOL. Loved that movie.
I do too, and you can guess why. 😁

Quick Reply: loud clunk in reverse engagement.