2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAM won't start. HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Tester7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue with no Spark coming from Coil.

This Truck have left me stranded. But after It will cool off . it will fire right back up. Today I started up and took to the mechanic to replace the Crank Sensor module.. While there. I told him that I wanted to replace it cuase most likely it was causing the Shut offs in open road. He aggreed.

We fiddled with it a bit. and then I said hey lets check the Coil to see if its not week. so that is it is I will just get a new while at the Auto parts.

Big Friking mistake. We pulled the Wire and tested it with Screwdriver and we did see a pretty good jump to the Manifold. Only one problem. once we did that and put it back ., and went to start the truck to go to Autozone. The Sucker refused to turn on. We checked again at the Coil and no spark . Now Im thinking that this may have cause the ASD to e triggered and stayed in that cut off mode.. Well we went to the autoparts with his vehicle and we changed that dam Sensor which like eveyone says. is not easy. because of where it sit.. Damn it.. well we hooked it back up and we still dont have any Spark coming out of the Coil.

So at this point I only know if I wait and try to crank it up tommorow it will probabaly Start as its done in the past. but Im thinking now that the ASD is ingaged at this moment.

If anyone can help me figure this one out.. New Sensor is in.. Still no Spark.. Ps. The Original one we pulled out did have some crack on it.

Just wanted to let everyone know this. So it deffinetly was going to be an issue sometime or another.

Need Spark coming out of Coil is what I need now.

Any Help
Tester7

Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

ASD relay will reset as soon as it sees the engine turning over. PCM just looks for crank sensor input to turn it back on. If you are not getting spark, or power to the injectors, then chances are good that your aftermarket crank sensor isn't cutting the mustard. Our trucks just don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Tester7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay But Before I removed the old Crank Sensor module

I had the truck running on its own.. Its when I just checked to see how good was the Spark out of the coil that I bridged it and seen a clear Nice jump of about 3/4 of an Inch and I said okay this looks to still be strong.

I went into the Parts Store and bought the Crank Sensor.. When I went back to the truck and was getting ready to leave the Auto Part store.

No Crank . just Turn over Turn Over. This usually was happening when I would run the truck for about 10 to 15 mintues it was shutting off.. The whole reason I started with doing research on it.. . But it would fire and getting me rolling until I guess it would heat up the Crank Sensor causing the ASR to stop sending signal.

Well long story short The Crank Sensor Module has been exchanged and I still have no Spark.

So I guess now is to check ignition.. or Just take 12V directly to the Coil Feed Plug and see if that gets it to start.. But Im wondering why I dont have Anymore Spark coming out of the coil?

Dang Im starting to hate my Dodge right about now.

Will go at it again tommorow. I have already checked inside the Steering column to see if any wires are hitting anything or what .. It all looks good in there. so Im stumped.. maybe I blew a Fuse when I was Bridging the Coil to the Manifold.. Wierd cause it did have plenty of spark when I did this Test.. I did it just to see if I should pick up a Coil while there too. in case mine was not producing a nice big arc.. But it did so I put back on the Cable and went inside . when I came back out of the Store and tried to start the Truck. nothing.. I went directly back to the Coil I had tried out just minutes earlier and now no Spark coming out of it.

Could it be the other end of that Cable. the one That supplies the 12V to the coil.. Where is that bad boy go too. so I can maybe check that end tommorow.

Well I know i wrote alot on here but better to give good Info as to what I did. so that way you Expert Dodge guys can better help me out or so I think.

Well any Help or advise are welcomed.

Cheers
Tester7

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Verify that you have 12 volts at the coil while cranking. (when it doesn't wanna start....) It may indeed be a weak ASD relay.... swap it with the horn relay for a while, see if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply: RAM won't start. HELP!!!!!!!