2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration/bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
tobba
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/bouncing

First, its a 99 1500 4x4 sport with the 5.9 V8. when I drive at exactly 35mph the truck vibrates/bounces alot, it seems to be the rear end, cause when I look in the rear view mirror I can see the tailgate bounce up and down, and it doesnt vibrate or anything in my steering wheel. I use Bilstein shocks, and just got the tires balanced, still there, anyone got any idea what it might be? Also replaced the wheel bearings not long ago, but didnt help

Got another issue with my brakes, this winter I was driving real slow on an icey road, I pushed the brake pedal, the front tires lock up an slides, but when I look at the rear wheel on my drives side it rolls just as good, no braking at all, coudnt see the right tire, but I gess it rolled too. If I press the parking brake the tires lock up easily. Thats probably why I wore out a set of brake pads in the front only on 10k miles Any ideas what could be wrong?

Last edited by tobba; 07-07-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Normally I'd say bent rim, but if you got all the tires balanced and it still does it...

I'm no expert, but I'd say your axle and/or rear differential need to be looked at. I think we might be dealing with two separate issues here, that, and then the brakes.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of tires do you have? THey might not be completly round.

You have Rear Wheel ABS.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Rear wheel ABS is standard, but all wheel ABS was an option. Thats why I asked.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 AM
tobba
Rookie

I run 265/75/16 cooper discoverer m+s. When they balanced my tires they said one tire was unable to be balanced due to height difference, so I put that up front. could it be this tire that cause the rear end to vibrate?
Ive got RWABS, but shouldnt this work like a regular abs system, making my pedal shake? I was driving really slow, only maybe 10mph, and the rear just rolls, doesnt make any attempt to lock or slow down.. And my truck has really bad braking, and like I said, less than 10k miles and my front brake pads where steel 2 steel..

Last edited by tobba; 07-08-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 AM
cmares
Rookie
Default vibration/bouncing

I have the same problem. My truck does it the worst at about 45 mph. Have you figured it out yet?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by cmares
I have the same problem. My truck does it the worst at about 45 mph. Have you figured it out yet?
Same here... I am around the 40 ish mph range and it seems like the front end bounces for me... or if not the front, it seems like the truck bounces and where the cab and bed meet is where the flex point is at. I haven't figured mine out yet although I have tried balancing the tires, a completely different set of rims and tires, stiffer shocks in the rear etc... Let me know what you guys find out.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
tobba
Rookie

Havent figured it out yet, but waiting for a set of new rotor and pads to arrive in the mail! And I'll try to bleed my brakes in the rear, been thinking, it could maybe be a little air in the lines, although I have bled them once, but maybe I didnt get it all out, that would explain why the parking brake works just fine but not the hydraulic system
Also ordered a Superchip flashpaq for my truck as a gift for myself on my birthday

But the bouncing, still got no idea, tryed different air pressures,, but doesn help, been thinking, could it be a bad U joint? Or just bad tires? Trying to remember back to when I first got the truck it had bridgestone tires on it, and I dont seem to remember it bouncing or vibrating with these tires... Didnt use them that long cause the rears was worn out, or at least they wore out pretty fast when I got the truck, haha it also doesnt seem to bounce and vibrate that bad when I put load in the back or haul a trailer with it..
Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rotate our tires in a criss-cross pattern. See if that helps.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM
goober86442

i just had the same problem happen to me on my 99 ram 1500. I had 4 used tires put on and i got the bounce / vibrate but mine was at 40 mphs. i discoverd that one of my tires had started to seperate. it was my rear right tire. had them change it out and it fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: Vibration/bouncing