2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
jarheaddoug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped [resolved]

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Right around 100,000 miles, the tranny went out (the pump inside actually blew). Pulled the tranny, had it rebuilt and put back in. Prior to my transmission going out, I had no other problems.

Since putting the transmission back in, when my truck hits around normal operating temperature, I have a weird problem that all of the car "experts" I know cannot figure out.

When I hit the accelerator, its almost like what happens when running out of gas. I will hear pops coming from underneath the vehicle and while keeping my foot on the accelerator in the same position, the vehicle begins slowing down and eventually will jerk forward, more pops, more jerking, etc. If I floor it passed this position, it will work properly and then eventually will go through the same routine. If I turn the truck off and wait for 5-10 minutes, it will drive normally and eventually will start acting up again.

Since this problem presented itself, I have done a tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, button) and also replaced the throttle position sensor. Obviously, none of this has helped.

I have gone too long without my truck and I miss her... anybody have any ideas what could be causing this problem? Thanks.

Last edited by jarheaddoug; 07-09-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Problem Resolved
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
helms
All Star

check air intake system, exhaust system, fuel filter.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

First thing I would do is hook up a fuel pressure gage, run it in the cab and take it for a spin. It really doesnt sound like a clogged cat, b/c it would miss and bog down at WOT. Other than that, hook up a scan tool, and watch your fuel, O2, TPS, and MAP. Or it could possibly be your TQ converter.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would also do the fuel pressure gauge to the windshield , but second, I would remove the TB and all the sensors and clean it, and the IAC.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
jarheaddoug

Thanks for the recommendations! Will try these and let you know.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Be careful when you clean the IAC, just spray it off and lightly wipe it down. Do not push, pull or twist the pintle.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
jarheaddoug

By the way, we did the fuel pressure gauge testing and everything looks normal. Next step is a good cleaning of the TB & sensors. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
jarheaddoug

Originally Posted by zman17
Be careful when you clean the IAC, just spray it off and lightly wipe it down. Do not push, pull or twist the pintle.
Just had this same conversation with my father-in-law. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You might also want to check for a vacuum leak. Are there any other probs, like cruise control , heater or 4 wheel drive issues? If you have 4 wheel

Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
jarheaddoug

After cleaning the TB & all sensors and re-attaching, still encountered the same problem. Ran to Auto Zone, rented a scan tool and the error pointed to the 02 sensor at bank 1, sensor 1. Funny thing is I suggested this two weeks ago (I'm the newb compared to all the other car "experts" I know) and was told no way. Replaced the O2 sensor and she's back on the road.

Thanks for all of the assistance. Good thing with all this troubleshooting is I shouldn't have anything go wrong in a very long time. Tune up is done, tranny rebuilt, etc. I have also come to learn that the smaller the car part, the more expensive it is.

Quick Reply: Stumped