2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's up with Sport Models? I have a 99.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Nhxj4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with Sport Models? I have a 99.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the help on my "Buyers Remorse" thread. Luckily that one sold and it is no longer my problem.

I bought a 99 Sport Monday night and am VERY happy with it. It drove 3 hours home without a problem! I do have a few questions as I'm finding that some of the "Sport" things might actually be a pissah.

1. The front grille on mine is cracked, and half the internal honeycomb stuff is missing. I looked on ebay and a brand one is $40 or something but it says EXCLUDES SPORTS. So what is the deal? Then I looked up a Sport grille and they are around $100...no fair. Has anyone tried to install a none sport grille in a sport?

2. My headlights are as yellow as a 70 year old english man. Same deal, "EXCLUDES SPORT" is all over the place and sport is twice the price. Same question, has anyone installed non Sports into a Sport?

Other than that I haven't totally gone through her yet, but am pretty happy like I said. 3" Suspension Lift, Looks good ETC.

Thanks!

Todd

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
97r/tram
Veteran

You could always make your own grill out of material from a hardware store.

As for the headlights, go to autozone and get "bluemagic" headlight restorer kit, it's 6.99 depending on the store. You get a towel, buff it on to your headlight covers and then repeat like 3 time. It makes the look new. Just don't get in on the black plastic on your bumper.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Rezin

I'm with you on this. I have an SS/T. It is a "Super Sport Truck" but the bumper..... It doesn't look like the typical sport bumpers, i.e. the placement of the fogs etc. I'd love to get some newer headlights myslef.... But I too am unsure of what fits. I have single light headlights, I THINK I heard that sports have two bulbs in the bucket. I too am new to the Ram game.

As far as the mesh, you can get several styles at Home Depot. Get gutter guard, or the like and it's MUCH cheaper than the oem replacements.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

1. sport models have a color keyed grill where the other models are "chrome"
2. sport models have seperate hi and low beam where the standard models have one housing for both.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
helms
All Star

98 and up sports had specific "sport" grill, front bumper and headlights. 97 and down just used body-colour non-sport parts.

the grill is contoured to the grill, so if you use a non-sport grill, their will be a gap, and it will look like poo. the headlights use four bulbs as opposed to the non-sport using two.

Please dont replace the sport equipment with non-sport parts.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The redesigned sport grille started in 99, not 98. The newer sport grilles are slightly more rounded and won't fit grille inserts made for the standard grille. Other than that, you got some tacky decals, dual headlights and painted bumpers. That's "what's up" with the sport models.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Nhxj4x4

I hit the headlights with Plasti-X from MaGuire's. That made a nice difference. Maybe 1 or 2 more shots of that and I'll be able to see at night. Thanks on the Home Depot tip, I think Gutter Guard would be fine.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

thats weird because i believe that i have a sport grill and bumper, due to the fact that the bumper is same color as truckwith chrome. and my grille doesnt seem to fit on just right, it pops out a little on the drivers side, but not much of a difference, so it may be possible to use the non-sport, but like one of the previous posts dont change the sport stuff.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a sport with nonsport grille....his bumper needs adjusted up some, thatll take out some of the gap

hope you dont mind me using your pics

Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

lol yep i have a sport grill, cuz i have a curve on the bottom, its not flat....thats cool i guess

Quick Reply: What's up with Sport Models? I have a 99.