2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

last night sucked!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default last night sucked!!!!

i drove my truck up to the kenny chesney concert at at&t park in san francisco. we got there at 8 in the morning. we were listening to music through my stereo in my car all day. around 3 o clock i started my truck to recharge my battery when all of a sudden everyone starts pointing at my truck. one of my friends tell me "hey u better take a look at the front of your trck". i go out and all my tranny fluid is everywhere. i find the source which was the pipe where the dipstick goes for the tranny fluid, and the tube that leads to the tranny got disconnectd. all my tranny fluid was now in the parking lot by that time. a couple guys came running by to help me. we tightened up the clamp that held them both together. i had to call my dad to bring up some tranny fluid, which meant i missed half of the concert. who cares about that though, thje rest of the concert sucked. i did meet kenny chesney though.

anyways, i put 4 quarts in last night, and i think the dipstick said safe, or a little too much. i thought this was weird though because all my tranny fluid came out, and i thought that automatics use at leas 6 quarts. should i put the other 2 quarts in?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, no offense, but you can't be this dumb. All your tranny fluid did NOT leak out. There is still the majority of it in the torque converter. If the full contents is 6 quarts, then there is probably more than 3 quarts left in the TC. You have now overfilled your tranny and risk serious damage.

Sorry for the problems you had, but if you're going to work on your own truck you need to get clued in about it.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I've been telling people lately, get a damn Haynes manual at least and read it. Most people like reading books anyway, and you can learn a lot about your ride , and might even know the prob/symptoms before it breaks, and will know how to fix it if it properly if it does.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you would also still have all the fluid in the pan because the tube hooks up above the pan.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Dude, no offense, but you can't be this dumb. All your tranny fluid did NOT leak out. There is still the majority of it in the torque converter. If the full contents is 6 quarts, then there is probably more than 3 quarts left in the TC. You have now overfilled your tranny and risk serious damage.

Sorry for the problems you had, but if you're going to work on your own truck you need to get clued in about it.

ok well i am a newb to this truck considering i bought it 2 months ago. but why is it bad to have too much fluid in the tranny

Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

The entire auto tranny system works on pressure. Too much fluid can overpressurize the system and blow out seals. It can also cause erratic shifting. Fluids expand and contract with heat/cold. Since a fluid can't be compressed, when pressure builds up something has to give.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional

how do i go about taking tranny fluid out now

Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Originally Posted by OLE BLUE97
how do i go about taking tranny fluid out now
Man, some of these comments are HARSH...
Its alright, everyone makes mistakes. This is what these fourms are for, to help with questions that people have.

Anyway, to take some out, either get underneith your truck (which should be easy, you can almost walk under yours lol) and slowly loosen the plug and let it drip out. I wouldnt take it out because its very hard to get the plug back in when fluid is pouring everywhere. Now, if the fluid in there was old and needed to be changed anyway, then flush it.
Thats my .02

Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Unfortunately, unless someone put a drain plug in the pan, there's no easy way to do this. You have to drop the pan down, which is a messy procedure. There are suction units that allow you to suck fluid out the dipstick tube, but buying one for a single use is probably not economical.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

You could drop the pan, replace the gasket, reassemble, put in the new fluid slowly until it reaches it's proper level, and be done. The ghetto way would be to drop a couple of bolts, let some fluid escape, and close it back up. Problem is that by soaking the gasket as the fluid escapes you will probably have leaks from that point forward since you wont get a good tight seal after closing.

BTW I hope you put ATF+4 in there or you will have big problems down the road. These trannys don't like anything else, even if a tranny shop says it's OK. I have read a lot of horror stories about using the wrong fluids, Allpar.com has a lot of those.

Last edited by Ram15002ndGen; 07-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: last night sucked!!!!