2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Projector Head Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
RAZRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projector Head Lights!

Got my projector headlights in today and wired them up with some modification and trial and error and ill tell you these things are amazing! I love them they give the truck a menacing look and are going to be a major head turner. Check them out, lemme know what you you think.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much were they?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 PM
RAZRAM
Professional

$150 from ebay. pretty cheap i think

Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I've been looking for replacement lights because mine are yellowed and not very bright even with Silverstar bulbs. Been relying on fog lights when using low beams, but I keep breaking the filaments in my fog bulbs on rough terrain...

Definitely putting these on my fix/mod list

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Oren09
Yeah. I've been looking for replacement lights because mine are yellowed and not very bright even with Silverstar bulbs. Been relying on fog lights when using low beams, but I keep breaking the filaments in my fog bulbs on rough terrain...

Definitely putting these on my fix/mod list
Before you do, you should read up on them. I think Laramie or Jason or both have said negative things about their lighting at night. I also see a big gap around the bottom. That must have been part of the adjustments he made. If you don't mind the gap then it's all good. I know it would bother the heck out of me.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Every aftermarket set out there seems to have gaps. The ones I've finally settled on (not projectors) are the best I've tried yet, but still slight gaps. The gap on the bottom of my lights is mostly due to the bumper being slightly off, not necessarily the lights.

Those will suck at night. They are designed 99% for looks, 1% for performance. Good thing you have fogs to help at night, otherwise you'd be almost blind.

A good set of Sport-type lights, either the official ones are single bulb versions like mine, are best if you want aftermarket.

If you want original-type bulbs, go for GE Nighthawks or Philips TruVision. O'Reillys carries them both, IIRC. They beat Sylvania Ultra SilverStars and SilverStars hands down. Trust me, I've tried each set. Only reason I don't use the Nighthawks or Philips is I wanted a more white-ish set.

If you are like me and prefer white, the HID conversions are nice, or you can use high wattage bulbs like Eurolites or Farenheights (sp?). Not sure who makes the latter, they were recommended to me by a friend but I haven't tried them. The Eurolites are made by Toucan Industries, a really good bulb maker. The units I run are 100w highs, 80w lows. The original wattages are 65w highs, 45w lows. To do this safely, you have to rewire your bulbs to use relays.

Even if you go the HID route, you may still have to use new wires and relays. Dodge used really small gauge wire, 16 I believe, for all their lighting stuff. To small.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-21-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 AM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

do a full front shot of your truck you have the grill i want!!!! they look good hope they function good cus ive heard they dont

Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 AM
dodgeram2001
Professional

take a night pic

Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They suck! Buy a good set of fog and wire them in. Thats what I did. Hella ff50 driving and fogs. Don't try to use the relays. I can't recall the yr but dodge used a switched ground(mine has it) which is why u cant use a relay.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Every aftermarket set out there seems to have gaps. The ones I've finally settled on (not projectors) are the best I've tried yet, but still slight gaps. The gap on the bottom of my lights is mostly due to the bumper being slightly off, not necessarily the lights.

Those will suck at night. They are designed 99% for looks, 1% for performance. Good thing you have fogs to help at night, otherwise you'd be almost blind.

A good set of Sport-type lights, either the official ones are single bulb versions like mine, are best if you want aftermarket.

If you want original-type bulbs, go for GE Nighthawks or Philips TruVision. O'Reillys carries them both, IIRC. They beat Sylvania Ultra SilverStars and SilverStars hands down. Trust me, I've tried each set. Only reason I don't use the Nighthawks or Philips is I wanted a more white-ish set.

If you are like me and prefer white, the HID conversions are nice, or you can use high wattage bulbs like Eurolites or Farenheights (sp?). Not sure who makes the latter, they were recommended to me by a friend but I haven't tried them. The Eurolites are made by Toucan Industries, a really good bulb maker. The units I run are 100w highs, 80w lows. The original wattages are 65w highs, 45w lows. To do this safely, you have to rewire your bulbs to use relays.

Even if you go the HID route, you may still have to use new wires and relays. Dodge used really small gauge wire, 16 I believe, for all their lighting stuff. To small.
i have a set of nighthawks and i remember them being a whiteish light, are you sure they're yellow? i took them out and put the hella 9004s in mine and they are pretty bright too but just barely brighter than the nighthawks.

Quick Reply: Projector Head Lights!