2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing the Hughes plate finally. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Installing the Hughes plate finally. Question.

I already have the Felpro intake gasket set that I'll be using. Question is, should I use the Felpro gasket for the Hughes plate also? I know we talk about the Felpro for the manifold to heads/block, but , would like to know about the plate itself. TIA

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Felpro plenum gasket is the better one. Is it the one with the blue center?

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-23-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

either will work, but if you have a felpro i'd use it. the heavy duty steel reinforced felpro is actually made to work with the steel pan, so it can hold the aluminum one in its sleep.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Thanks gents, It is the one with the blue center. I must say it looks alot better than just the steel one Hughes suppllies. The Felpro gasket is the same one I put on like 3 years ago, before I found this forum. The gasket was not cracked or blown through, but 3 of the bolts were only hand tight and the rest were not anywhere near torque. And it looks like they are too long as well. The steel / aluminum factor is bad enough of a design, but to not have the bolts be the right length, takes the cake.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how anyone can say that one is better than then other since there is not any documented proof that either have ever failed. I think both are good and will do the job. Cardboard would probably be an upgrade over the OE one.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ i think a layer of dog $hit would be an upgrade over the OE one.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sungod
I don't see how anyone can say that one is better than then other since there is not any documented proof that either have ever failed. I think both are good and will do the job. Cardboard would probably be an upgrade over the OE one.
The Felpro is clearly a better gasket, you can tell by simply comparing the two side by side. Whether you need the better Felpro gasket instead of the Hughes one is the question. The Hughes one is still definitely better than OE.

I chose to go with the better one just in case. Just a little more money to make sure the job hopefully never has to be done again.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I used the Felpro, so hopefully I'm good to go. And besides the hour and a half it took to take it apart yesterday, it only took 3 1/2 to get it back together including cleaning everything, and another 30 minutes to change oil and bleed the cooling system. I started at 10:30 am and was done about 2:30pm ,so there was no beers which cut the total time by 2 days! LOL Now I'm wondering how long it has been bad and what if any damage I've done to the Magna flow cat. Not to mention how much more power I would have really noticed when I did the 1.7's and added the SC 3815 at the same time. That will have to wait until tomorrow,because since the time I finished, made some other post's on here and now, I've had some beers. LOL So a road test is out of the question.

Quick Reply: Installing the Hughes plate finally. Question.