2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another 46re questions...sorry guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What size gears are in it? So what if you don't drive over 40 and don't go on the highway. 4 Wheelin puts a lot of strain on our POS!!!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
What size gears are in it? So what if you don't drive over 40 and don't go on the highway. 4 Wheelin puts a lot of strain on our POS!!!!!

dont know the gears off the top of my head but ill find out. and the truck hasnt gone wheelin since the new transmission. strictly a "mall crawler" since.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope there is 4.56 in there.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your truck has had an issue since the rebuild went in , after all , even your brother only got in third gear when it was cold .
Everything points to the govenor pressure valve or the valve body itself . This is not uncommon . It does require some disassembly , trans stays in the truck . get the 2001 manual in the FAQ's and DIY or a different shop .
FYI , the temp of the trans will fry the clutches (mainly) , the shifting shouldn't be affected . You may not need a rebuild , but you do need it worked on , a bigger cooler will do nothing for your problem .
I would start by checking the throttle position cable and all electrical connections before moving to the innards , also that the shifter is working properly (out of adjustment??)

Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

No offense intended here, but I am going to give ya some constructive criticism.

First, I could be mistaken, but I believe your signature should say "BFG A/T" for BFG All Terrain, not "BFG T/A". T and A have an entirely different meaning.

Second, I think you are trying to think way overly optimistic, and have convinced yourself exactly what is wrong with the transmission when you actually have no idea. First you thought (in another thread) that it was a computer programming issue, which we proved to you it wasn't (since the PCM only controls O/D and no other gears). Now you have convinced yourself it just needs a different tranny cooler. I am no transmission expert, but I am 99.9% certain that that will not fix your problem. You have simply convinced yourself of another cheap fix. You were looking for a worm, a cheap fix, and a mechanic threw you one. You got to enough mechanics, one will eventually tell you what you want to hear.

I have the stock tranny cooler. My tranny shifts fine. Many others on here have the stock coolers, they shift fine. You may need a bigger cooler, I'm not saying you don't, but that will not solve your problem. If the transmission was getting to hot, due to a bad cooler or whatever, it would first kick the "O/D Off" light on, turning off 4th gear. That is what its designed to do if it overheats. It would not do some weird thing like getting rid of two gears, unless it'd overheated several times before and did some damage. I am not talking about the truck overheating, mind you, but the transmission overheating. Two entirely different, usually unconnected things.

What it comes down to is, like others have said, is that we think the rebuild was not a quality one. Its way easier to muck up an automatic transmission than it is to make one work well. You may not need another rebuild, maybe something is just out of whack with this one. Maybe some bands need adjusting, and that'll fix it. Bottom line is, though, that you need to have a known, good tranny guy take off your pan and have a look to determine anything for certain.

And forget the guy who told you your problem is you just don't have a big enough cooler. As nice as he may seem, he doesn't know Chrysler transmissions if that is his solution to your problem, because it isn't a solution at all.

Quick Reply: another 46re questions...sorry guys