2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cats/muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cats/muffler

ok had the longtubes on for a bit, running them streight with a cutout no cat or muffler. however when i close it it goes threw the cherry bomb extreme , so now i need 2 new cats and brought the summit catalog to the shop that does my exhaust she reccomended theses because 1. they need to be small and 2. they have the best flow . anyone here or try these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-79-400250/

also i want to make my truck quite when the cutout is closed so im going to be taking off the cherry bomb extream which is a single chamber muffler, so im looking at either a magnaflow or a gibson muffler but it has to be si/do.

these are the 2 mufflers im looking at, so really when its closed i just want the truck to sound really good, and have it open for fun and loud and too pick on the punks that always want to race

gibson- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GIB-758216/

magnaflow- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12198/

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i understand you still have a y-pipe then cutout then a muffle then dual going out.... just put one cat on bewteen the cutout and muffler....(so i think u just need one)
but you may not have a lot of room reg cab,short box

on a side note if you want to run two cats.. you could also run true duals and that would sound sweet,,, but then again you would need one more cutout.

i got a new gibson just havin put it on

just my 2 cent... hope i help a little

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

well yeah i gota have 2 cats, 1 on the drivers side where it bends behind the t-case and the other cat goes on the pipe comeing on the passenger side to the y-pipe

Old 07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, not to sound like an #ss, but if you needed cats, why didn't you have them installed originally? Unless I missed something(which is entirely possible) from your description, you about to hack apart your perfectly good exhaust system? It seems to me that your gonna be dropping some good coin at that exhaust shop, for something that could have been avoided? If you do have the SWB, combined with 4WD, that sounds a little like a nightmare for the exhaust guys(read more costs in labor). But all IMO.

The Gibson's have a real nice note to it. I had a Gibson Race Truck cat-back on my 99, the side exit before the real wheels looked good, and wasn't real loud unless you were into the throttle.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

personally I ran 2 single in dual out dynomax ultra flows exiting in front of the tires no cats and it sounds great a little rumble when driving normal but past the 2k mark it's really raunchy. I personally like dynomax because they seem to have a deeper tone than others.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

yeah i didnt know they needed new cats till after they intalled the headers

Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

really I would save yourself the money and forget about the cats, I've had 2 rams and a jeep took the cats off all of them and got better mpg and power(In my opinion, I was not going to spend money for them to dyno a jeep lol)

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

well i gotta have cats to pass emmision or i would leave them off, i love not having any on, more power and just sounds like streight ***** with just headers

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Dr Donut
Veteran

I'm assuming from your statement that you live in an area that requires testing?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Where I am at you HAVE to pass visual and OBD test. Hell they even pressure check the fuel cap(yeah i failed and had to buy a new one). Last, after giving your situation some thought, your best bet might be to dump the cutouts altogether. You have limited room to begin with. Plus trying to fit in cats, possibly extra O2 sensors, or at least nonfoulers or dummy ones, and the cutouts, and the rest of the system sounds like a tubing nightmare. Not to mention probably expensive as hell. It kinda a shame you have to basically remove a new and perfectly good system, for another one. Live and learn I guess.