2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lets hear about that good ol maaco

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets hear about that good ol maaco

just wanna see what all of you think i dont want a color change or anything just the same but putting a 01 sport bumper and grill on and roll pan just looking for a good cheap paint job i have all the equipment to prep the truck just dont really wanna go and paint a truck AGAIN!! lol

like to see some pics to

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So, what are you asking?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

umm i really just want some pics but i would like to see if any ones paint jobs have held up im not really all for a $2000 paint job just somehting that will get my by and look decent

Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Well, wouldnt the paint job on your truck get you by? Doing it twice will make you spend way more in the log run. Or you can just rattle can it. its a 95.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

its a 96 and well im puting that 01 sport front end and roll pan on i thought i would go ahead witha new paint job i got some clear coar pealing on the top and a lot of chips that have been covered up by that ****ty cover up paint just not up to my standards

Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

I wouldnt worry about it. Just throw some satin black over the bumpers and peeling and call it a day. Then put one of those "Under Construction" stickers in your back window.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Maaco is not a very good paint shop. I was thinking about repainting my old Honda Accord before I sold it so I went down to Maaco and asked a few questions. To get a descent paint job will cost you $1500 to $2000. For that you can get a good paint job at a good paint shop. I asked to see a freshly painted car for one of their more economical paints to see what it would look like. The job was crap. It had runs and paint accumulation on the edges. It looked worse than the first car I ever tried to paint, and I would have to pay for this? No way. I asked the manager point blank what is the difference between the $200, $600, and $1500 paint jobs. Needless to say, his story kept changing every time I asked, but the low end ones don't even have a clear coat. I felt a scam coming on so I moved on. I sold the car AS IS and the guy didn't mind that the paint was fading too much. You wanna see a great paint job, look at my sig, 13 year old paint, original.

Last edited by Ram15002ndGen; 08-04-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Rumble are you lazy or just have esteem issues? Seriously, asking about a MACCO paint job? Good paint and body work is the same as good parts, good tires, good wheels, etc. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I am fairly handy with a rattle can,but I would never consider doing my whole truck myself. And secondly, the body shop I do use regularly, has certified and accedited bodymen and painters. They also have certifications from the leading auto paint manufactures as far as mixing and color matching. Bottom line... when I had my 99 repainted it cost me 3000 with the prep. Upon pickup, i was handled a lifetime garentee by the bodyshop, and 2 from the paint manufactuer(PPG) 1 for any defects in the paint from application(if it peels 3 years from now, its resprayed for free) and the other for color/pigment(they garentee it not to fade or discolor, or they respray it free). You seem like a young guy, full of **** and vinegar. Nothing happens overnight, save some cash for a good paint job. If not **** in the wind, and just rattle can it.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

My friend owns a body shop. People ask him all the time why painting a vehicle costs so much when Macco says they do $200 paint jobs. He tells people if they want $200 paint jobs he can do them but to expect to be painting them again in a year. Bottom line is if you want it to last you gotta pay the price.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

young yes i am lol. but the thing is i plan on doing these body mods and i want a fresh coat of paint now i have fully resotred a 89 chevy by myself but i just dont wanna go through that whole process again.
and ive only heard of a good paint job costing 5000 bucks i just want a daily driver good looking paintjob now granted 3000 bucks dosent sound to bad i was looking at paying around 1600 for maaco. i just want to see what yall have to say im not planing on doing it anytime soon i gotta get a new tranny but i will end up getting the out side "done up"

Quick Reply: lets hear about that good ol maaco