2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering gear box help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
redneck86
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering gear box help

does anyone know how hard it is, how to do it and what tools i will need to change my power steering gear box

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

It's just a bolt on part, how hard can it be? Just socket wrench, breaker bar, some large sockets, etc. It's not a very complex part.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

To actually remove it is simple. Only 3 bolts holding it on, and one securing the steering shaft to it. The b!tch though is removing the pitman arm. You will need a pitman arm puller and a BIG hammer. It took me hours to get mine off. And, if your lucky the bolt for the steering shaft wont snap on the way out like mine did!!!!

Last edited by olyelr; 08-13-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
redneck86
Rookie

how long total did you spend on yours because i gotta do mine tonight

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Haha, it was like a few day deal for me. I spent a half hour or so at a time beating on the pitman arm with different pullers and such (had a different vehicle to drive). If it wasn't for the major PITA getting the pitman arm off, I would say its an hour or so long job by the time you button it all up.

Just for some added info, I was using a nice Snap-On pitman arm puller for the longest time with no avail. Then I went to Auto Zone and rented there cheap crappy one and... WALLAH, it finally came off. The best advice I can give ya is to tighten the puller up as much as possible, then beat the pitman arm with a heavy hammer. Then tighten, beat, tighten, beat... with any luck you wont have the issue I did.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
DodgeRam96

The nut holding the pitman arm to the gearbocx is large. I doubt you'll have an open end wrench to fit it. An adjustable might work, but I ended up buying a bit socket. I too rented the tool from Autozone with success. My mistake was trying to replacve the pitman arm when I did the box. I could't seperate it from the steering linkage. Oh and by the way, mark the orientation of the linkage before you disconnect it, otherwise when you put the new box in, the wheels and the steering wheels won't be in agreement. You could also just loosly fit at the rag joint.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by olyelr
Haha, it was like a few day deal for me. I spent a half hour or so at a time beating on the pitman arm with different pullers and such (had a different vehicle to drive). If it wasn't for the major PITA getting the pitman arm off, I would say its an hour or so long job by the time you button it all up.

Just for some added info, I was using a nice Snap-On pitman arm puller for the longest time with no avail. Then I went to Auto Zone and rented there cheap crappy one and... WALLAH, it finally came off. The best advice I can give ya is to tighten the puller up as much as possible, then beat the pitman arm with a heavy hammer. Then tighten, beat, tighten, beat... with any luck you wont have the issue I did.
Damn dude, with all that pounding and beating didn't you screw up the pitman arm? I guess the lesson there would also be to start a few days earlier and start adding WD-40 or PB Blaster or penetrating oil to loosen that part up.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 AM
sledbuttrob

I just finished taking mine off 10 minutes ago. I used a proper pitman arm puller and my 3/4" impact. It was tight. I was expecting my puller to burst. My impact puts out 900 ftlbs. After about 5 seconds it popped off. My problem was getting the pressure line off. After farting around with it for an hour it broke from flexing the steel end too much. Even used the torches to heat up the connection. No go. Should have an 18mm line wrench. Probably isn't such a thing.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Damn dude, with all that pounding and beating didn't you screw up the pitman arm? I guess the lesson there would also be to start a few days earlier and start adding WD-40 or PB Blaster or penetrating oil to loosen that part up.

It actually did put a slight flat spot in the upper portion that goes around the splines. But, it slid right on the new box just fine.

Quick Reply: power steering gear box help