2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think my plenum is leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, a sharpening stone? Holy smoke! Was it that far out of true or gouged up on the heads as well as the intake?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was gouged up on the manifold pretty good. Kinda pissed me off considering the guy I bought it from didn't come off as an idiot and was a certified mechanic with a job at the dealer.

The heads haven't been touched before so they were good. My dad just wanted me to be sure everything was as perfect as possible. Backtracking isnt fun.

Also got my new sensor for 12.99 at Oreillys. Seems much stouter than the one I pulled out. Going to install it in a minute.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Trey318
Captain

OMG ITS LIKE A WHOLE NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!! The motor quit making the horrendous sucking noise. The truck finally started idling lower. And all around it has sooooo much more power. Before, the truck had no pep, but this is a huge step forward. After tightening the heater hose, I had no leaks lol. Overall, this was worth every bit of effort that went into it.

I might mod my old kegger if anyone is interested in shooting me an offer. I'll also throw a felpro plenum gasket in too.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey318
It was gouged up on the manifold pretty good. the guy I bought it from ..... was a certified mechanic with a job at the dealer.
what's that tell you.
congrats on having a good running truck. feels good doesn't it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Trey318
Captain

lol and yes it does!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i don't think my plenum gasket is blown, but this winter while i have it in my shop for some body work, im gonna pull it down and put the hughes plenum plate in it, i may also delete the center divider, and cut the runners some if i feel ambitious

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine out for a drive last night after detailing it. Really nice, and, it feels like new again. The throttle is real responsive due to no more vac leaks caused by a blown plenum. Love how it feels. Strong and solid. This Hughes FI intake is super. Very nice. Now to get the Flowmetric TB and new AI on it and get more air into it. I am running the stock OEM TB and intake so, she's not getting enough air coupled with a crippling OEM exhaust setup. Going to rid of that and go with some longtube headers and 3 in pipe all the way back. Great to hear yours worked out well too.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
99_ramsport
Rookie

OMG ITS LIKE A WHOLE NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!! The motor quit making the horrendous sucking noise. The truck finally started idling lower. And all around it has sooooo much more power. Before, the truck had no pep, but this is a huge step forward. After tightening the heater hose, I had no leaks lol. Overall, this was worth every bit of effort that went into it.

I might mod my old kegger if anyone is interested in shooting me an offer. I'll also throw a felpro plenum gasket in too.

I can't wait to do mine! Just bought my Hughes kit. The only thing thats holding me up is the guy i bought the truck off of didn't keep up w/ the regular maintenance. So i'm having to redo it all!!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Trey318
Captain

Im waiting to upgrade the TB and exhaust till the 408 is sittin between the fenders.

Originally Posted by 99_ramsport
I can't wait to do mine! Just bought my Hughes kit. The only thing thats holding me up is the guy i bought the truck off of didn't keep up w/ the regular maintenance. So i'm having to redo it all!!
Yeah you'll really like it after its fixed. It makes a huge difference!

Anywho, since I jacked with the belt, the tensioner finally let go so I have to pick up a new one. It was squealin its *** of when I'd turn the A/C on. Also picked up a can of Seafoam to run in it.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
nonlinearedits
Rookie

The Fel-Pro gasket set came with end seals, so I used em. I spent more time prepping than anything. After the stock kegger was off, I used the trusty gasket scraper with 6 rags taped together tucked in around the heads in the valley and had at it. After that, I used my dad's stone with a lil WD-40 and rubbed on the gasket surface for a little while to make sure everything was clean and square. Had to use the stone on the M1 as well because the guy I bought it from had apparently went crazy with a grinder on the gasket material. The stone got out most of the gouges in it. My dad has done mechanical work for many many years and put the RTV around the water jackets, corners, and torqued the bolts for me. I took over from there.

I'm running stock injectors. Might consider swapping the bigger ford injectors that I've heard of when my 408 is ready.

I'm reaching that quarter million mile marker. 238k on the odometer as of now.
Off topic but 238?!?! wowzers, hows that trans holding up?

Quick Reply: I think my plenum is leaking..