2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sagging Headliner

Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some material off ebay and redid mine.Not very hard but it is time consuming.You have to remove the headliner board which is card board with a fiberglass like coating.Scrape off the old foam(PIA!!!) and glue on the material and trim the edges and cut out the other little holes.Mine turned out nice.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miami Son- yeah, theres plenty of room to do it IIRC

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

Originally Posted by mr freeze
I bought some material off ebay and redid mine.Not very hard but it is time consuming.You have to remove the headliner board which is card board with a fiberglass like coating.Scrape off the old foam(PIA!!!) and glue on the material and trim the edges and cut out the other little holes.Mine turned out nice.

what glue did you use? i redid mine a few months back and its startin to sag

Old 08-22-2009, 01:57 AM
mr freeze
Veteran

I used 3M general trim adhesive.Number 08088.They make a heavier strength adhesive but this worked great for me.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
Miami Son- yeah, theres plenty of room to do it IIRC
Cool! Thanks, Dakota. I really think it will help with interior temps. Even though my truck is white I can feel the heat come off the inside of the roof when it is 90+ and sunny here, which is all summer long.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Oren09
Veteran

My headliner was peeling off at the windshield and rear window. I bought some 3M Headliner Adhesive at walmart and it works pretty good. Although, all the humidity last week made it sag in the middle of the rear section.. Might rip it all down and re-glue if it gets worse.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem IIRC is that the material used for headliners is a foamy cloth material. The foam starts to break down and then when you try to reattach it you are gluing back the broken down foam which will only continue to break down, hence it sags again. That is why you have to remove ALL the foam and crap and start with a clean surface, then it will probably stick correctly. It's like putting a new coat of paint over peeling paint, it just wont hold.

When I took my Camaro to be done I watched the guy at the shop and he had some glue in a spray gun (like a car paint gun) and he put the cardboard down and shot it with the compressed air like he was painting the cardboard liner. It was a thick yellow industrial looking glue. Then he applied and rolled out and trimmed the material. Like Mr Freez said, it's not really hard, just a time consuming PITA.

Miami, we actually have it pretty good. IIRC the Chevy trucks back in the 70's didn't even have a headliner, just the sheet metal. Trucks were more industrial back then.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Miami, we actually have it pretty good. IIRC the Chevy trucks back in the 70's didn't even have a headliner, just the sheet metal. Trucks were more industrial back then.
Yeah, I remember those and the older Blazers that had that single ply fiberglass roof with zero insulation. My Ramcharger had a metal roof with no headliner and it used to get very hot during the daytime.

I'm thinking it might be better to shoot expandable foam into the roof with a long wand. That would deaden sound/vibration and insulate without having to mess with the headliner. Could probably do most of it through the dome light and 3rd brake light openings. Hmmmm....

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

you run the chance of that pushing down on your headliner tho

Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

How? The roof is hollow twin wall. I'm talking about putting in that hollow cavity between the walls, not between the interior wall and the headliner.

EDIT: OK, I pulled the overhead and dome light and had a looksee. There are points where the inner and outer roof sheetmetal come to within an 1/8" between them. Looks like the expanded foam would have minimal effect in those areas. Guess I will go the route of dropping the headliner and using Dynamat to cover the roof area. Doesn't look like it will interfere with the headliner at all. Just a pain to undo all the crap to drop the headliner.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 08-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sagging Headliner