2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sagging Headliner

Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 PM
rhutson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headliner

I bought the material for my dakota ex cab at a local fabric place (Hancock Fabrics) for about $22 and the spray headliner adhesive at autozone for $11. Now the important part, it is a PAIN to get this out without breaking it and scraping off the old foam is a bear BUT I did it and it looks great. One important thing to remember if you don't want it to fall, get ALL the foam off and then cut the headliner material, dry test fit and be sure it is good, lay it on the headliner exactly where you want it glued then fold 1/2 of it back on top off the other half and spray A LOT of glue covering the back of foam and the 1/2 headliner that is exposed, let it tack up a little then spray it again and let it tack up. Lay it over and start pressing it in the center outward then do same for other half. I used 2 heavy coats and I sprayed different directions on each coat. I cut it big and folded it over about 2 or 3 inches and it looks great and is holding up so far this time. First time I did it I only sprayed it on the headliner then stuck it on, it fell in a week, it is important to spray both surfaces which is why you fold it over and spray half at a time.

rhutson in NC

Last edited by rhutson; 08-22-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the best description yet.I did it basically the same way rhutson said.Spray both sides and it will work great.I wouldnt want to do it for a living because that foam is a b*tch to get off.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:36 AM
dodgeram2001
Professional

u could use a stapler or some thumb tax, or some super glue ?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:40 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

miami- its been awile since i had mine off, but i was thinkin that there was apretty good are that was just headliner and outside metal, could be wrong tho

Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
EDIT: OK, I pulled the overhead and dome light and had a looksee. There are points where the inner and outer roof sheetmetal come to within an 1/8" between them. Looks like the expanded foam would have minimal effect in those areas. Guess I will go the route of dropping the headliner and using Dynamat to cover the roof area. Doesn't look like it will interfere with the headliner at all. Just a pain to undo all the crap to drop the headliner.
Yea, that sounds like a smarter way to go. This way you will have more consistency than with the foam. The trouble with the foam would be that you could have air pockets that you wouldn't even know about, and it would have to be a really minimally expanding foam. I have seen foam expand enough to bust out 2x4s in houses. You don't want your sheet metal to start bulging.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sagging Headliner