2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clicking when I turn.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 AM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking when I turn.

The front left clicks when ever I turn right. I don't really know what else to say about it other then when I took the truck in to get an alignment done today I was told that the upper and lower ball joints were shot and the u-joint was corroding a bit. Any help were be greatly accepted.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

u joints make a clicking noise when turning so its safe to say that its bad. i would check the ball joints myself instead of taking that guys word for it. jack up the truck and grab the tire at 12 and 6 then try to move it by pushing on the top and pulling on the bottom and then pull on the top and push on the bottom. there should not be any movement. if there is any movement then have someone get under the truck and watch the ball joints to see if they move when you push/pull on the tire. it may just be one ball joint that's bad if they are at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 AM
JackJ
Captain

Well, I already bought the ball joint for both sides, and I trust this shop, and have known many people having good experiance with good service. I guess I'll buy me some front U-joints.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

when i change my driver u joint i left the passenger side alone because it felt fine. when i ended up pulling the passenger axle out a couple weeks later i found out that one side of that u joint was locking up so if you have a few miles on your truck then it wouldn't hurt to change them both. are you taking it to that shop or are you going to do the work yourself?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
truegent81
Captain

you know I was thinking i have a similar problem. i just had the u joints replaced on my ram a month ago but when i drive with the windows down i can hear a metal "tick" noise every now and then from my driver side. i don't know if its in the rear but it sounds more like driver front. anyway, i was told that i probably need to replace the ball joints next summer (top and bottom on both sides). and another thing that is buggin me is when driving on the interstate,i run along the safety bumps on the shoulder of the road at 65mpn, and i hear a pretty distinct metal noise (like somethings loose).
question is, what the crap does a bad ball joint sound like? i remember in my old ranger when ever i backed up and turned the wheel i would hear a constant ticking noise. i knew my axle was beginning to give. but this noise is more of a loose metal sound. like the liscense plate bolt is loose and the tag bumps against it. i know its hard to describe but i just had the ujoints replaced..what now??

Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
when i change my driver u joint i left the passenger side alone because it felt fine. when i ended up pulling the passenger axle out a couple weeks later i found out that one side of that u joint was locking up so if you have a few miles on your truck then it wouldn't hurt to change them both. are you taking it to that shop or are you going to do the work yourself?

I was gunna have them do right then till they told me $280 for the lower and $120 for the upper plus labour. I got both side ball joints for 120 at Kragen. Ill do it my self once I go buy new U-joints.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
dodgeram2001
Professional

I would say the U joint should be changed i just fixed this issue last night an that fixed my problem an also put a new upper balljoint in that fixed her good.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

since you're going to do the ball joints yourself you should go to a parts store and get the ball joint removal kit (loan a tool). with that you should not have any trouble replacing them. if your u joints are not too messed up then you will be able to use the ball joint tool to get them out also. if they are in the yokes pretty tight then you will probably have to use a hammer and a socket to get them out like i did.

Quick Reply: Clicking when I turn.