2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0601 code ecm

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Hjhf1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what State you live in,you might be able to get a junkyard computer but you have to make sure the truck you get it from has the same emission standards and options.You can just replace it without getting it flashed and having your light stay out but it has to be flashed with your vin # to pass inspection even if your light doesn't come on.You can't flash it yourself because the equipment you need to reflash it would cost more then a brand new vehicle and having that kind of money would be only half the battle beings that type of equipment can only be purchased by someone that is State certified in emissions.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 PM
tiredofproblems
Default p0601 still there

I had the P0601 code show up in my 2002 dodge ram 1500 van 5.2l v8. i got and installed a rebuilt pcm/ecm but the code is still there. i have been having problems with the engine over revving very loud from 1st into 2nd gear when it's been sitting for a while. after i get going the engine quiets and runs fine until i let it sit again. i am not sure if the error code and the shifting problems are related. please help a working man

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Where did you get your rebuilt PCM from?

I suspect you may have more than one problem.......

Old 09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where did you get your rebuilt PCM from?

I suspect you may have more than one problem.......
+1. And my guess is poor quality control reman pcm, and the fan clutch is staying locked up.

I'd like to add that even with a rebuild, you can still get a bad pcm. I went through my fair share of pcm's with the same code before I finally got one that works correctly. (knocks on wood). As i've mentioned a few times after my experience, the guys from autocomputerexchange are hacks. The quality control blows... not to mention the hassle you get trying to send back a faulty pcm. Go to a local auto parts store so they can't jerk you around.

Also, the over reving in the 1-2 shift. Can you go into more depth on that? You said after a while the engine runs "quiet" and runs fine. 2 things... My guess is the fan clutch staying locked on cold start, because that is the only thing that would quiet down over time. I find mine likes to stay locked when I go up my driveway if it sits.

2nd thing... check your trans fluid level. If the engine really is "over reving", i'd assume you slipping. Also try shifting to neutral with the parking brake on after you start your truck to get some circulation before you take off.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
tiredofproblems

i just replace my fan clutch. do you think i could have gotten a bad one? it is new. could that be the noise i am hearing after start up?

I got my pcm from computer auto exchange, and i am sad to hear of their poor quality. I have told them i want a new one and they are sending it. but is there any other reason that i could be getting the p0601 code? or do i need to just keep sending it back till i get a good one?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
tiredofproblems
Default pcm p0601 again

i sent beck my pcm and they sent me a new one. put it in and i got the same code. p0601. they told me to check my battery and its at 100%. is there anything else that could be giving me the code or should i keep sending it back till i get one that doesn't have it? please help

Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Send it back. Keep sending it back until you get one that actually works the way it is supposed to. Or, if you can, get your money back, and find another source......

Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
suprasteve

pcfixerpro and/or HeyYou: Do you have any recommendations for someplace that's similar to the autocomputerexchange in price but less likely to give me a headache? I've had the same code for awhile, but I recently moved to a new state where they have inspections, so it has to be fixed now. I don't mind spending a little more if I'm going to get something that works right the first time, I don't want to do the back-and-forth till I get a "good one" thing with anybody. That said, if my only other option is $1000 at the dealer, guess I'd put up with it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasteve
pcfixerpro and/or HeyYou: Do you have any recommendations for someplace that's similar to the autocomputerexchange in price but less likely to give me a headache? I've had the same code for awhile, but I recently moved to a new state where they have inspections, so it has to be fixed now. I don't mind spending a little more if I'm going to get something that works right the first time, I don't want to do the back-and-forth till I get a "good one" thing with anybody. That said, if my only other option is $1000 at the dealer, guess I'd put up with it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Go to a local parts store then. At least this way if it doesn't work, it's just down the road.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by tiredofproblems
i sent beck my pcm and they sent me a new one. put it in and i got the same code. p0601. they told me to check my battery and its at 100%. is there anything else that could be giving me the code or should i keep sending it back till i get one that doesn't have it? please help
I went through two of them with the same issue and the same code and gave up. The price was attractive, as was the warranty, but the hassle and failed pcms didn't make up the difference. Hang in there... keep us updated on how they treat you. I've said in a few threads on here my experience with ACE, but i'd like to hear your experience in the end as well.

Originally Posted by zman17
Go to a local parts store then. At least this way if it doesn't work, it's just down the road.
Yes! Just like i've said before, go local. If you have issues it is a lot better to talk to someone in person vs. helpless over the phone. All of the major autoparts stores carry the same pcm lol. Napa does R&R to your stocker if they don't have one available. Autozone, A&A auto, rock auto, etc all carry "cardone" reman pcm which is what I have. I haven't checked advance, but im sure you could stack a nice coupon on top of that if you had too.

If you guys ever need me, just shoot me a pm. I don't frequent this forum as much as I used too

Quick Reply: P0601 code ecm