2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No X4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

miami son just installed one on his truck and is quite happy with it.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Threads merged. You might want to read through it.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 AM
bigsooner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from doing a little mud run...When I tried to disengauge my 4wd low and put it in 2wd, the light stayed on...and then I put it into 4wd hi and moved it back to 2wd, the 4wd shifter went loose, and nothing will engauge, the truck is stuck in 4-hi, and when I make sharp turns it shakes badly, kind of like the fella on the first page, but she shifter is now loose and I can just move it up and down with no effort at all. I'm a cop, and don't know jack about major mechanics of a truck, other than being able to do the small DIY stuff here...but my buddy said I could have blown my transfer case. I'm just hoping that it's the vaccum line, can someone maybe help ease my worry and let me know what the problem may be...like I said, very similar to the guy on the first page, the only thing throwing me off is the shifter problem now.

The little vacuum lines on the transfer case skid plate that run to the CAD came off awhile back (might be due to mud caked in there) and my 4x4 light was always on and sharp turns were difficult. Figured that out when my started wouldn't turn over and I went underneath to look for broken/unplugged wires (turned out to be the trans temp sensor or something [it was a three wire connector on the tranny pan]). Interesting placement of the vacuum lines, not very off-road friendly.

Last edited by bigsooner; 11-30-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like 2 different problem.
1. axle locking collar has not disengaged. see info on CAD on passenger side of the front axle. its vac operated and needs to slide over toward the passenger side. the vac signal comes from the t-case. so if its also having a problem, then you may not be getting proper vac. you can manually apply engine vac to one port or the other to get a result. once it moves, it'll likely (probably, maybe) stay in that position until you apply vac on the other port.
2. loose shifter? could be a t-case problem, or could be a shifter problem. crawl under the truck and check the shifter linkage.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

This is one of the main problems with this system. Too many things that can go wrong with it. If it is a vacuum problem, whether a loss of vacuum or failure of the transfer case switch, the system will remain in the last state it was in when the failure occured. Bad situation if it fails when you're offroading and need to get back on dry pavement. It sounds like your loose shifter could be the issue, though. Since the transfer case controls the vacuum switch, if your loose shifter is preventing proper shifting then the switch may not be functioning properly. You need to diagnose your shifter problem first.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
bigsooner

Hey guys, I appreciate the help more than you will know. The rod that connects the boot to the transfer case popped out, it looks as if it's just held in by a piece of plastic, there is an O-Ring on one end, but nothing to clamp to boot piece onto the shifter, I may have to make something because I don't want this to happen again. You saved the people of Southwest Houston of having one less Deputy on the street. I'm going through a divorce and this is my only means of transportation, and well, I thank you all for your help a ton. (BTW, did you see how I used the search function this time and posted in the correct place...not like when I asked about the stuck door lol)

Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

You're a keeper! Glad to help. Remember that when I'm driving through your fair city sometime next year.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
bigsooner

Lol...No prob!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
RedRam99
Default 4x4 wont engage....

2001 ram 1500 passenger side axle tube seal leaking and when i put it in 4x4 the front drive shaft will spin but 4x4 wont engage and 4x4 dash light wont come on....any ideas??

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

You might want to read through this thread I moved yours to. This is a common problem with these trucks.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 12-04-2009 at 08:30 AM.