2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new speacker problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
2001RAMon38s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new speacker problems

i got new 6*9s for my truck but there are factory amps on both stock speackers how do i disconnect the factory amps without messing with my tweeters or messing anything else up thanks for helping.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I take it you have the premium sound system with the tweeters in the A-pillars. If so then you will have to disconnect the amps that are connected to the factory speakers and if you want to keep the tweeters you will have to splice the 6x9's and tweeters in together wither in series or parallel in order to achieve the appropriate ohm's impedence. Where is Laramie when we need him???

Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

What's a speacker?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL

I don't fool with those damn amps. I remove the bastards and wire directly in. It's less of a headache in the long run.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have an aftermarket head unit then you don't need those amps. They'll only mess up your sound. Eliminating them is tricky because they feed not only the tweeters in the pillars, but the rear speakers in a Quad Cab. Mine did not match the wiring colors in the factory service manual, so I had to get out a multimeter and figure it out by hand. Took some time, but it was worth it. My system sounds great. If you are not familiar with how to use a meter then you'll need to find someone that is.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ripped mine out when I replaced my driver door speaker. I cut it off and chose two wires to splice into my new speaker. Worked just fine, and my door mounted tweeter and rear speaker still work fine.

Only thing is my aftermarket JBL speaker actually has less bass than the factory Infinity... Maybe the amp also filtered frequencies, too.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Oren09
I ripped mine out when I replaced my driver door speaker. I cut it off and chose two wires to splice into my new speaker. Worked just fine, and my door mounted tweeter and rear speaker still work fine.

Only thing is my aftermarket JBL speaker actually has less bass than the factory Infinity... Maybe the amp also filtered frequencies, too.
Could be out of phase if you got the negative and the positive speaker leads mixed up. That would kill your bass response.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swear, just hardwire them in. Even on the factory headunit, it could be done. Even if you need to wire it up so that your tweeters and the front speakers are both on the front left and right speaker wiring.... it would be completly worth it. Just my opinion though.
I know that jasonw reused his stock amps, and i think he made a diagram. if he hasnt made one, im sure he would make one if you ask.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Eliminating them is tricky because they feed not only the tweeters in the pillars, but the rear speakers in a Quad Cab.
This be not true. I removed the 6x9's in my truck and put in 6.5's and new tweets in the A pillars but wired them to an amp through a crossover (150rms) and I can still get my rear speaks to work in the cab doors as long as power IC is on it sends power to the rear door speakers through the deck like it would do with the stock HU.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by terranova
This be not true. I removed the 6x9's in my truck and put in 6.5's and new tweets in the A pillars but wired them to an amp through a crossover (150rms) and I can still get my rear speaks to work in the cab doors as long as power IC is on it sends power to the rear door speakers through the deck like it would do with the stock HU.
I'm sorry, but it is true IF you eliminate the factory speaker-mounted Infinity amps completely, which is what we were discussing.

Quick Reply: new speacker problems