2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new speacker problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I wasnt looking to argue....I'm still not ...we all are entitled to our opinions but here is what I brought up with a search....you'll notice if you google it almost all the recommendations to use heavier wire come from those selling it...hmmm. And keep in mind that in a dodge truck the listening environment is waay different that a studio where a lot of this stuff was tested...The thicker stuff just costs more and is harder to run and hide period.

just change the **'s to tt's after copying and pasting. Sorry I got carried away but i could do that all day and not run out of articles and I will refrain from continueing on this as its gotten on waay off topic from the original threads purpose.
I think the OP's question has been answered ten fold.

This isn't an argument, by any means. You are correct that it is a matter of opinion.
I'm not even going to attempt to fool with looking at those articles since you didn't even post them correctly. I do see that in the majority of those links, they are home audio oriented. Not the same thing as Car audio. Sound to one person can be something totally different to someone else.
Your comment about cones seizing up from under power? I don't need an article to tell me how that works. I have seen it. Keep in mind, the systems that I build for people aren't typically for the normal person. My systems are based on the knowledge that I know they are going to push them, and they are gonna push'em hard. Try doing that on speaker that's underpowered. I would hope that most people are smart enough to know that when they hear speaker dsitortion, that they need to turn it down a bit, but I tell you what, when you have 8 speakers or more in a vehicle, try hearing distortion over the woofers. You wont be able to hear very much.

Now, take a look at the crap wire that's in our rams from the factory. That's what, and 18 gauge IIRC? You can't sit perched on that chair and tell me that a speaker that needs 75+ Watts RMS is going to operate to it's BEST efficiency on that small of wire.

You are right, larger wires are harder to hide, but not impossible. If you think it is, you just simply aren't creative enough to do the job.

It's a personal belief, and you wont ever catch me building a system with 16 or 18 gauge wire. It's never going to happen.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does having a rca jack have to do with it? the signal is either high level or low level and is composed of one positive and one negitive wire for each channel (or speaker)....it does not need to plug right in to be possible? if you cut and rca wire yould see a wire in the middle on most or in side by side non shielded wires one wire will be marked this would be the postive and the other the negative....Am I missing something because I really dont understand why they wouldnt work? I agree its dumb to bother using unless you have a crappy head unit but it should still work without issues if you wanted to do it?
I supposes you could cut up an RCA cable and connect the aftermarket stereo's line level output to the factory wiring that way, but that's not exactly plug and play and you'd lose the shielding. But as was stated, the Infinity amps are so low power and most stereos today are at least 45 watts per channel X4, so why would you want to do this? You'd also lose the fader function and be unable to balance front and rear. It makes more sense to simply eliminate the Infinity crap and use your new stereo's onboard amps. Again, I did it this way and my system sounds superb.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if wired channel for channel you would retain all funtions balance and fader functions but only if you had a head unit with front and rear low outputs (rca's) but again i agree it waould sound just as bad if not worse than factory so why?
Laramie
I only posted the links that way because some forums dont allow live links to be posted and I do that to keep it simple for me.... but basically many of the links touch on the fact that 16 gauge wire has been scientifically measured to provide enough power for at LEAST 300 watts rms and 600 watts max with no signal degregation when dealling with lenths of up to 25 feet on a 4 ohm system....(plenty long enough for just about all vehicles let alone rams) and most aftermarket mids and highs dont go over 100 -120 watts rms even on competition level.(most 800watt 4 channel amps only output 80 to 120 watts rms per channel at the most in a 4 ohm load) and creativity has nothing to do in some cercumstances with hiding wires that are too large I have some small cars and had to run the power externally on my vette for the amps as it was why rip my whole interior apart for no gain in performance? just trying to save people money time and headache by stating the facts and no conjecture..
l'll just agree to disagree and we will leave it at that....afterall I once thought the same thing as you about the wire thanks to my local car stereo shops selling it too me at $3 a foot when I was younger....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-02-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

l'll just agree to disagree and we will leave it at that....afterall I once thought the same thing as you about the wire thanks to my local car stereo shops selling it too me at $3 a foot when I was younger....
Yup yup, We will have to part paths on this topic. You preach what you want, and I'll preach what I want. Life rolls on.

Quick Reply: new speacker problems