2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clogged exhaust? low power...exhaust opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged exhaust? low power...exhaust opinions please

hey guys..soo i got my tranny problem fixed...it wasnt the transmission, it was the sensor throwing the shifting off. anyway..the guy said my exhaust is clogged....lol i kind of laughed because i never heard of a clogged exhaust before. anyway he was serious, so im going to have to put a whole new exhaust system on. he told me that the truck was acting sluggish and didnt feel like it had the right power. and the exhaust sounded clogged. right now i have a single pipe going to a glass pack with a ingle out but i have a y pipe and the end. and it has a really deep sound that i like. im wondring if i should get 2 strait pipes? with cats on each pipe? or go single in dual out flowmaster? im wantin a deep sound..nothing really flappy and anoyying. what do you guys think? im curious to see what a lfowmaster sounds like on a v8. ive only had one my v6 3.9l dakota.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for lack of power, with nothing else wrong, i would suggest that your exhaust system is clogged as well. mine is but i haven't had time to take it to the shop yet. tomorrow i will. but i would also check to make sure your cat isn't clogged as well. probably the reason(mine too) that your exhaust is clogged, is that your cat broke some honeycomb off and it got stuck in either that cat itself, or the muffler. just a suggestion.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM
townsley4
Veteran

yea he mentioned something about how it could be the cat.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

yea, my cat has been clogged for a while, and i have no power and a very annoying exhaust sound...VERY annoying. it was hell trying to get my motorcycle from WV to VA...

Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

You guys shouldn't be messing around driving with plugged cats. That could create some greater problems. Cut the cats off and see if the rest of the system is clear or not before replacing it all. It may have just all stayed inside the cat.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

yea i've noticed my truck is having more problems with different stuff now that i've been driving with it like that...but i haven't had a choice so theres really nothing i can do. i plan on working on it tomorrow when i get the chance.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

definately cut off the cat and see if it drives ok for a short trip, if it is plugged you will be able to tell as soon as you take off. you'll probably get an o2 sensor cel with the cat off but thats ok because you'll just be testing it with it off. if you don't have a welder it might not be a good idea to just chop it off.

with a glass pack on there i doubt that anything got wedged in the pipes behind the cat since glass packs are straight through.

flowmasters suck on rams, they are too quiet. i had a 40 series on mine when i got it and it was too quiet, i cut it off and put 2 thrush glass packs on it and it sounded better but still too quiet. i dropped the glass packs and put straight pipes in place of them and now it has a good tone. if you really want a muffler (i hate mufflers) then i suggest the pypes muffler, a guy posted a vid of his on here a few months back and they have a nice deep tone.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like my cherry bomb extreme , good deep tone, its a single chamber muffler , go with si/do with a highflow cat

Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
helms
All Star

Originally Posted by townsley4
hey guys..soo i got my tranny problem fixed...it wasnt the transmission, it was the sensor throwing the shifting off. anyway..the guy said my exhaust is clogged....lol i kind of laughed because i never heard of a clogged exhaust before. anyway he was serious, so im going to have to put a whole new exhaust system on. he told me that the truck was acting sluggish and didnt feel like it had the right power. and the exhaust sounded clogged. right now i have a single pipe going to a glass pack with a ingle out but i have a y pipe and the end. and it has a really deep sound that i like. im wondring if i should get 2 strait pipes? with cats on each pipe? or go single in dual out flowmaster? im wantin a deep sound..nothing really flappy and anoyying. what do you guys think? im curious to see what a lfowmaster sounds like on a v8. ive only had one my v6 3.9l dakota.
i think a glasspack will produce the most flappy annoying sound you can get, lol. if you want something deep, go to a magnaflow or borla. these mufflers are a packed design, but they use stainless steel wool for the packing instead of fiberglass.

I like my Flowmaster super40. with no cat, it is plenty loud.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

come to find out, my problem was my cat's honeycomb had some broken pieces that clogged the muffler. so i took it to the shop today, cut the exhaust off from the cat back and now its nice and loud and performs NICE . straight pipe ftw.

Quick Reply: clogged exhaust? low power...exhaust opinions please