2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight cleanup

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight cleanup

I finally got around to removing my headlights so I could sand and polish the lenses. They weren't too bad, but just dull and yellow enough to annoy me. Getting the housings out is a pain, but can be done. I sanded the lenses with 1000 grit wet/dry paper and did it wet. I first ground off the little ***** (there are 3 per lens) just because they get in the way and serve no purpose. I then polished them using the buffer wheel and compound from the Meguiar's kit that I purchased. Instead of using a drill motor I mounted the buffer wheel in my drill press. Much easier and much higher rpm. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Funny thing is why do the headlights get dull but the turn signals look like the day they were m made? Are they made of a different plastic?

Before

After
Name:  2043.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  53.1 KB

I noticed a strange empty connector on the passenger side mounted to the body just below the headlight housing. I have no idea what it could be for. It's the one in the middle. Any ideas?
Name:  2041.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  47.2 KB

Last edited by Miami_Son; 09-02-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did mine, the were so yellow, it looked like a stick of butter. It was a night and day difference. I actually did a write up on it about a year ago with pics.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe running lights? (Clearance Lights) That's the only thing I could think of, and hell, that doesn't even make that much sense. I can tell you that I don't have that, and our 1997 3500 doesn't have it either.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I'm going to have to do some research. It's odd that it is only on that side and it's pointing up. With nothing plugged into it water and crud can easily be getting into it, so there must not be any power present. Damn, I wish I had put a meter on it while I had it apart.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is to nothing. There have been many threads about it and nobody can figure it out. Water shouldnt get in there, as the black thing is a cover.
Funny thing is why do the headlights get dull but the turn signals look like the day they were m made? Are they made of a different plastic?
I think it is because the headlights have to be thicker and are of a plastic that is made not to shadder or crack. THe turn signals are made of some other thin plastic. I could throw a golf ball at my turn signals and they would shatter while the headlights might crack a little.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 09-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the headlights may get that way due to heat, the dual lights put off a whole lot more heat than the corner lights.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I do very little driving at night, so it has to be exposure to sunlight. My Grand Cherokee was fine until two years ago when I moved and no longer had covered parking. Now it is even worse, but that's my brother's problem, now.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blame it on the SMOG! And BTW quite the bonfire you all have goin out there.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, no kidding about the freaking fires. EVERY year some a$$ holes decide to go out and start fires. They are 99% man made. This year makes you wonder even more because they were going to start laying off fire fighters due to budget problems right before this fire started. Makes you go hmmmmmm?

As for the head lights, I find it weird myself. Mine get glazed over but when I wash them they get clear, and not just because they get wet either. They will stay clear a few days and glaze again. It's like a film that builds up over them, but since mine is garaged maybe it doesn't burn in.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

I was outside most of the day working on a friend's chopper he just bought. The daylight had an orange tinge to it and my eyes were burning a little. When the moon came out it was all orange. Went to Autozone to get a battery for my beast and when I came back the chopper was covered in ash.

Quick Reply: Headlight cleanup