2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Issues with disconnecting a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
dbasmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with disconnecting a battery?

These days, just disconnecting a battery can give you problems...apparently the computer needs to be reset on some cars when the battery is disconnected. Any issue like that on a Gen 2 Dodge??

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Ive unhooked my batt for hours before..while i worked on the truck. Didnt notice any difference when i hooked it back up. They say it has to relearn and take around 200 miles for it to relearn. But like i said after i unhooked mine, I didnt have anyprobs.

Just have to reset your clock on the radio.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
99DRAM31887
Veteran

no just un-hook it and you'll be fine. Once you do un-hook it you will have to reset your radio and junk but nothing major and this is also a fix to your cel codes just disconnect your battery and it will reset the pcm.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there's no problem with disconnecting the battery on any vehicle. its one of the first things you should do for a lot of service issues.

loss of power triggers a computer reset, but that doesn't hurt anything.
it simply returns to the default settings and starts relearning the fine-tune settings.
sort of like rebooting a computer - sometimes its just sort of good for it.

any vehicle that couldn't survive a battery disconnect without a trip to the dealer would be completely useless.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think simply disconnecting the battery will reset the PCM. Don't you also have to turn on/off the ignition in a sequence while the battery is disconnected to do that?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh, if you leave it unhooked for awhile, it will reset. Most of the time, just leaving it unhooked for a minute will kill it left over charge. Consider, you have draw on the battery even when the cables are unhooked.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the capacitors that hold power on the memory have to give out in order to reset. that can be accomplished by leaving the battery disconnected for awhile (not sure how long) or with battery disconnected - turn ignition to start, or turn on headlights to drain them quick.

Quick Reply: Issues with disconnecting a battery?