2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help...New tires scraping inner fender well..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
imhotep
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on posting several picks later this afternoon. A side view, as well as a close up of where the tires are rubbing on the truck. My cousin has had a few suggestions that might or might not work and I would like ya'lls opinion of them. First he thinks that the shocks may need more play in them since I have the coil spacers. The spacers may have forced the shocks to be at their almost maximum extension so that the shock extenders from Mr Gasket should help with the problem. He also suggested that I might wish to remove the rear portion of the well liner and coat the exposed sheet metal with undercoating to protect it.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what about the 1.5 inch wheel spacers the otherguy mentioned he uses on a farm..... Although they are not the ideal setup It looks like your on a budget and if anything they will buy you time till you figure out what you want to do....I would guess your options are limited to rims with different back spacing , lifting somehow or limiting the turning radius like I had to do in my jeep although I dont know if that can easily be done on the ram like it could on my jeep.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
imhotep
Professional

A year ago I replaced the stock rims with Crager V5s from Summit. They do happen to have a different back spacing than the stock. I looked last night and found a set of spacers for the RAM on Summit but a 300 for 4 it was a bit high. If anyone knows of a better price please let me know. The funny thing is my 265/75/16's scraped as well. In fact I don't mind the occasional scape but constantly is a bit different . I did find a set of new springs for the front at LMC for 90+shipping so that also might be the way 2 go.

Real Quick: I want to thank all of you who have replied so far. It is a great comfort to have a community of people who don't mind brainstorming and helping with info and personal experience those of us who can occasionally be clueless.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it seems like a body lift would fix you right up. maybe a 2 or 3". i believe they run about 200$
4x4 rams sit a couple inches higher than 4x2s and they don't rub the wheel wells with that size tire.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
imhotep
Professional

Sheriff, I totally agree! The kits are rather reasonable, but I would also have to move the radiator down to make sure the fan still pulled air or put an electric fan system on it. Also wouldn't i have to lengthen steering linkage and other goodies? (These are the same question my wife will ask so I want to have the answers at the ready.)

Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
imhotep
Professional

Here are the pics. I took them with my Blackberry on my way to lunch.

Name:  IMG00021.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  215.9 KB

Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those really fill up your fender wells. Spacers will not help you and will make things worse because your wheels will be pushed out further. Your only option if you like those tires is lift and lots of it.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
imhotep
Professional

Thanks sungod....They do kinda fill em up a bit don't they? I have been pricing kits already.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it only rubs on the back of the wheel well then i would look into getting some stainless and making a new recessed liner to give that tire some room to breathe.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
imhotep
Professional

Sheriff, that's a great idea. I am open to all ideas that don't involve selling my baby . waited to long to get it and love it too much.

Quick Reply: Please help...New tires scraping inner fender well..