2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to buy 97' Ram Should I stay away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005 | 08:50 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Default RE: Looking to buy 97' Ram Should I stay away?

The check valve is on the lower tranny coolant line, where the rubber and metal line meet, from rear to front. Another thing you can do is a band adjustment, will be hard to explaine best bet is go buy a haynes manual.

Old 04-01-2005 | 09:56 AM
Flynbryan19
|
Rookie

My grandfather has done a few, so he should be able to tell us how to do it.

You guys have been very helpful. I appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2005 | 04:33 AM
waterbug1999
Rookie

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

The tranny filter and fluid change is a great start. One thing that you can do is not drive it in overdrive while puttin around town, dealership mechanic says so. Also if you have a in line check valve up by the radiator get rid of it. While your at it change speed sensor on tranny ( $ 23 at Advance) mine had a ton of shavings on it , it helped.
Why get rid of the check valve? And change the speed sensor? Whats the purpose for those 2 things?

Old 04-04-2005 | 01:07 PM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: Flynbryan19

Hello everyone. I'm looking into buying a 97 Ram with 55k on it. But I've been reading in the search archives and am scared by the rumors of previlant tranny failure. Should I stay away from it or is it a safe deal? Need some quick responses if at all possible. Need to say yes or no by the end of today.
Did you get the truck?

I bought mine 2 years ago, a '97 2500 4x4 360 auto with 56,000 miles. Was a retired guy that bought it new, and only used it as a secondary vehicle. Had the reciepts that the trans fluid had been flushed and changed at 20k and 40k miles, and the engine oil was changed every 3 months regardless of mileage. I did a Carfax lookup on it and it had NO reports at all for that VIN. I flushed and changed the trans fluid at 62,000 miles, and only use the truck as a secondary vehicle to haul things and pull my car trailer I've got 85,000 miles on it now.

Here's my horror list-

68k- Ball joints shot
78k- Transmission EXPLODED
80k- Track Bar & Tie Rods
82k- Rear axle carrier bearings
85k- Intake manifold plenum gasket

I'm pretty sure there was something at 72k but I can't remember right now. I like the truck as a whole, but it's been a POS as far as maintanence and reliability. Right now the plenum is still shot, and my steering is loose even after replacing the track bar and tie rods. I think my steering box is going to crap, which is another common problem with these things.

My advice- be careful. Use good parts, good oil, and always stay on top of the preventative maintanence.

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:15 PM
greenmachine
All Star

The in line check valve is on of the main causes of tranny failure. Tends to stick shut overheating the tranny. I changed my speed sensor because it was not shifting properly. The truck seemed to have trouble telling how fast it was going. The sensor was covered in metal sludge. It has really helped with shift performance and all around get up and go.

Old 04-06-2005 | 05:54 AM
Badkarma

so your saying just replace not remove it right?

Old 04-06-2005 | 12:15 PM
ejazz

Where is this speed sensor? My tranny is acting up on my '98 and it does seem like the truck doesn't know how fast it is going.

Old 04-07-2005 | 02:32 AM
greenmachine
All Star

yes change it there is no way that you can leave it out its a computer read sensor , like a crank position. It is located towards the rear of the transmission, in the tail shaft.

Old 04-07-2005 | 10:56 AM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: Badkarma

so your saying just replace not remove it right?
If you're talking about the check valve for the transmission cooler lines, just replace it. And when you change your trans fluid and adjust your bands AT LEAST every 24,000 miles (read your manual), disconnect the cooling lines and blow them down with compressed air to remove any debris that could plug the check valve, and thoroughly clean the check valve itself.

Since the check valve is lower than the entire cooling loop, if you remove it your cooling system can drain down over time, and you'll not only have 'dry starts' (you'll have to rev the motor to prime the transmission, very much bad), but you stand the chance of air-locking the system due to the ****-poor flow design of the Ram automatics.

Old 04-07-2005 | 12:09 PM
Flynbryan19
|
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Snafu

ORIGINAL: Flynbryan19

Hello everyone. I'm looking into buying a 97 Ram with 55k on it. But I've been reading in the search archives and am scared by the rumors of previlant tranny failure. Should I stay away from it or is it a safe deal? Need some quick responses if at all possible. Need to say yes or no by the end of today.
Did you get the truck?

I bought mine 2 years ago, a '97 2500 4x4 360 auto with 56,000 miles. Was a retired guy that bought it new, and only used it as a secondary vehicle. Had the reciepts that the trans fluid had been flushed and changed at 20k and 40k miles, and the engine oil was changed every 3 months regardless of mileage. I did a Carfax lookup on it and it had NO reports at all for that VIN. I flushed and changed the trans fluid at 62,000 miles, and only use the truck as a secondary vehicle to haul things and pull my car trailer I've got 85,000 miles on it now.

Here's my horror list-

68k- Ball joints shot
78k- Transmission EXPLODED
80k- Track Bar & Tie Rods
82k- Rear axle carrier bearings
85k- Intake manifold plenum gasket

I'm pretty sure there was something at 72k but I can't remember right now. I like the truck as a whole, but it's been a POS as far as maintanence and reliability. Right now the plenum is still shot, and my steering is loose even after replacing the track bar and tie rods. I think my steering box is going to crap, which is another common problem with these things.

My advice- be careful. Use good parts, good oil, and always stay on top of the preventative maintanence.
Yup, got it this past weekend. Have done everything that I listed except install the tranny cooler, remove the ball-check valve, and flush the tranny. Going to do these things this week. I'll have to get pictures this weekend some time. I'll keep my eye on the steering components. And where is this Plenum gasket ya'll are talking about? I checked the throttle body like was listed in another thread, and saw no oil residue. For the price I got it for, I could replace/rebuild the tranny and still come out less than what this vehicle sells for in my area.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 97' Ram Should I stay away?