2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Odd coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
sarmikgar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressure tested system and during the test it started to leak again.

System seemed to hold pressure pretty well which is why I guess it doesnt overheat during driving.

I think it does leak while running Ive just never seen it because it gets "slinged" off the crank pulley and doesnt get to drip to the ground. With the engine running I can feel droplets on my hand if I put it sorta down near the crank pulley.

Going to throw on new pump and pray that fixes it.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Try sticking a finger around and behind the water pump pully, you should be able to feel the weep hole and tell if it is wet or not.

Last edited by charlie1935; 09-11-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
sarmikgar
Professional

Originally Posted by charlie1935
Try sticking a finger around and behind the water pump pully, you should be able to feel the weep hole and tell if it is wet or not.
Its much too tight, I can get about a 1/2" of a finger into the upper pass. side of the pump, but on the bottom of the unit where the weep hole is there is very little clearance.

I am almost positive it is the weep hole though or the shaft seal, because from the bottom of water pump pulley to the crank pulley is where the wetness is. If I stick my finger up into the area where the backside of the belt is riding on the water pump pulley I can get drips on my finger that would normally be running straight down the backside of the belt and around the crank pulley. I think if it were the gasket it would run down behind the crank pulley/damper and off the bottom of the engine.

I may try pulling off the belt and see if I can tell better where its coming from, I should have the new pump in by the end of this weekend and hopefully thatll fix it.

Last edited by sarmikgar; 09-11-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to see if it is the weep hole leaking. I am willing to bet that it is. Put the mirror in where it is angled toward the weep hole and pointthe flashlight at the mirror on an angle to light up the weep hole area. Then go ahead and change the pump since it is leaking.

Quick Reply: Odd coolant leak