2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Hub and Stereo Install questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Caseys500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub and Stereo Install questions.

1994 Reg Cab Short Box 4X4 318
So I need a new wheel hub on the passenger front. There are 2 available on ebay, on with and the other without ABS sensor wire. I know mine came stock with ABS but I cant see the sensor wire running to the wheel (I havent taken it apart yet though). Which one should I get? In the service manual it says to disconnect the ABS sensor, does that mean I can buy the one without the ABS Sensor and it will have a place to attach mine, or do I need to buy the one with the sensor and replace the sensor wire already on my truck?

Stereo Question:
I have a Sony deck that I installed in my truck...at first it sounded like crap cause I didnt hook up the ANT wire...got it hooked up and now it sounds good while on the tuner. When you put in a CD however, it only play out of a couple speakers and isnt amplified, much like how it sounded before I hooked up the ANT wire.
It is a Sony CDX-F5000
I did find online to connect the Blue w/white stripe to solid red (+ Power) or the ANT to Solid red. Neither of these results in amplified CD sound but they do make it so it wont shut off when the truck is turned off. Any Ideas?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

1. You need to find out if your truck is equipped with rear ABS only or four wheel ABS. If it is rear only ABS then you need the hub assembly without the ABS wire and vice versa.
2. I just had this discussion last night with Laramie1997 about Sony brand Head Units and the conclusion that they are for all intensive purposes junk. I had the same issue as you with poor amplification to the speakers and blown channels etc.. Just buy a Pioneer or other quality brand and be happy instead of fighting the inevitable.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Caseys500

Thanks...it sux cause I have used this before and it worked fine...I just figured I didnt have something wire up correctly. I have a JVC that has a CD stuck in it...maybe I will disassemble it, get the CD out, install it and see how it works...weird

Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Yeah Laramie and I had about a two hour discussion about head units and we came to the conclusion that Pioneer seems to be the most user friendly that is reliable and not ridiculously over priced. We even rated the Dual brand over Sony if that tells you anything.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's lots of info already in here on both of these subjects. Did your truck have the Infinity Premium Sound System? If so, the problem is with those amps and not your head unit. Do a search for a thread on this. I had the same issue until I removed the factory Infinity amps. Now my Sony head unit sounds awesome.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

i would say it all depends on the generation of reciever you get.. the xplodes are pretty much junk... if you want a decent one you need to spend over 200.. if i aint mistaken the blue and whie wire is an amp wire.. the one marked ant is for a power antenna the ones that move up and down......

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseys500
Thanks...it sux cause I have used this before and it worked fine...I just figured I didnt have something wire up correctly. I have a JVC that has a CD stuck in it...maybe I will disassemble it, get the CD out, install it and see how it works...weird
have you tried the tiny reset button?....that often works to eject cd's that arent recognized....
The only newer sonys that are any good are the non explod series.....I had sony hu's for years "mobile es" series and they were great....minidisc as well as cd units.and a high end digital eq/crossover....the problem is they followed suit with a lot of other manufactuer and farm a lot of stuff out to other companies to make and label sony now.....Sony doesnt make thier own speakers anymore either....its funny pioneer units used to lack in quality for a while and are now nice.... my favorite for quality is alpine...but its usually priced high...JVC is also a good one.......
Of course I shouldnt talk I just cheaped out on the dodge and threw a $200 GPS/dvd/mp3/tv/Bluetooth/stereo touch screen unit in from ebay to test out (innovatek)......pretty cool but definatly not the highest quality I've seen....then again it might be on par with the sony explod crap....
make sure you arent using the power ant wire to power anything unless it stays on with a cd installed....on many HU's it turns off the power to it when the head unit is switched from the radio to say the cd....(to lower the power antenna)

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

blue/white stripe is normally your remote wire, it tells an amplifier to turn on when the radio is powered up. so if you don't have an amp then cap that wire off and don't use it.

since you don't have a power antennae then you should cap that wire off and don't use it.

the red wire is accessory power, it gets power when you turn the key on.

the yellow wire is constant power, it has power all the time to keep your presets on the radio.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

wow nice echo..lol same thing i said...

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub and Stereo Install questions.