2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Stereo, Dome Light, Cargo Light or Underhood Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 AM
MaresMotorsports
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Stereo, Dome Light, Cargo Light or Underhood Light

New to the forums, recently picked myself up a 99 Ram after losing my 98 Chevy to a wiring fire.

The previous owner of my dodge had a junky Kenwood stereo in it, and it quit working on my today. So I purchased myself a new Sony stereo, and after tearing the dash apart I find Mangled, shredded, duct taped, zip tied wiring. I started pulling wires apart, cutting what looked right. I was doing this during dusk, so the dome light was on lighting my truck so I can see. I cut a couple wires at once and I lost my dome light. I used a cell phone for lighting, and finished wiring in the new stereo.

My new stereo won't come on. I've lost my dome light, cargo light, and underhood light. Maybe some more things, not sure. The stereo won't come on. I hooked the wires on the stereo to my Battery, and it works fine. I checked the radio fuse in the door, then under the hood I checked Ignition Run and Ignition Accessory.

I can't figure this out. It's not too important to my right now, I survived 100 miles today with no stereo, I can manage tomorrow. But I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me in solving this problem.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do realize that with "cutting" wires and losing all that power, that you more than likely have a hot wire bouncing around under the dash? When you cut the wire that killed your light, did it not occur to you to put that wire back together??????????????

Kinda ironic when I sit here and read your post seeing that you lost one truck before to a wiring issue.....

Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Take it back out, and hook each wire up properly. Here is a diagram to help:
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty obvious you need to check the rest of the fuses, as one or more blew when you were cutting wires and doing wiring by cell phone lite ! LOL

Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 I believe you arced circuits when you cut multiple wires, the cutters linked circuits and currents they shouldn't have. You probably have a fuse blown.

Check the IOD fuse. It'll be in a special housing in the side dash panel. It's a little fuse isolator that slides in and out.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM
MaresMotorsports

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
You do realize that with "cutting" wires and losing all that power, that you more than likely have a hot wire bouncing around under the dash? When you cut the wire that killed your light, did it not occur to you to put that wire back together??????????????

Kinda ironic when I sit here and read your post seeing that you lost one truck before to a wiring issue.....
Well first off, don't talk about what you don't know. I lost the truck to a wiring issue after I got it back from the shop.
My fiance and I got hit head on by a drunk driver. She was killed instantly.
The wiring issue occured under the hood, not due to a stereo, and NOT by my fault.

I reconnected all the wires before turning on the ignition.
I actually figured it out. It was the I.O.D. fuse.

Thanks guys who actually had something helpful to say.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
+1 I believe you arced circuits when you cut multiple wires, the cutters linked circuits and currents they shouldn't have. You probably have a fuse blown.

Check the IOD fuse. It'll be in a special housing in the side dash panel. It's a little fuse isolator that slides in and out.
exactly what I was gonna say...its a blue fuse. you never cut multiple wires at once if any of them are live and the acc wire is always unless the fuse or battery is pulled. I juiced myself good as a kid that way and melted a hole in my pocket knife cutting ac wiring

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaresMotorsports
Well first off, don't talk about what you don't know. I lost the truck to a wiring issue after I got it back from the shop.
My fiance and I got hit head on by a drunk driver. She was killed instantly.
The wiring issue occured under the hood, not due to a stereo, and NOT by my fault.

Thanks guys who actually had something helpful to say.
My sincerest apologies then. That might be something you want to add in next time. Something to the extent," it wasn't my fault or something".. There is always going to be someone to bust your chops over it. Take it at face value and at that value only. No need to get upset.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
gembuilder

this helped me also.. with a radio and dome light not working... i blew it while attempting to get the abs codes by grounding the diagnostic pigtail wires...

Quick Reply: No Stereo, Dome Light, Cargo Light or Underhood Light